We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

We are taking our kids, ages 8 (boy) and 5 (girl) to Disney World for the first time in September. I am in the process of planning our days--as we will only be there for four days. I have a couple reservations made to Cinderella's Royal Table, Garden Grille and Prime Time Cafe. While it would be great to see everything--that is not possible. I want to ensure that we have time to rest and recharge during the day--otherwise, there be grumpy and stressed out kids and parents. So, that being said, please share what are the must see things to do at each of the Disney Parks.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,701 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

Kind of depends on what your kids like-are they afraid of the dark,do they have favorite characters,do they like musical shows. Basic plan for us is always get to the park early,stay until about 1pm,return tot he hotel for a swim and lunchand rest,back to the park around 4 for more rides and the evening shows. We watch the MK fireworks from one of the monorail hotels-usually the GF.Use Fast Pass whenever possible.Our kids differ-one hates Pirates of the Caribbean,one adores it,one loves the Haunted Mansion,one screams at the sight of it.so...what delights your kids?

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

I highly recommend findin out what time each parks opens/closes (it can vary on certain days/times of year) and use that to help plan your day. You can maximize your time if you do go home to rest and then come back to a park thats open later than another.

Fast Pass. Fast Pass. Fast Pass.

Bring some snacks/drinks so the kids wont get grouchy when walkin around and standing in lines.

pa
Level Contributor
54,252 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

The best plan might be to take things at an easy pace and go with the flow as far as what rides and shows you do and see

You already have some dining Planned so visit the park the dining is planned for ( wouldn't bother park hopping, wasting time.

September has lower crowds so wait times won't be awful. If the wait time is 30 minutes or less, get on line. If more, grab a fast pass for later

Don't stress about things you might miss, No one can do it all in 4 days, that's why we all keep going back :)

park hours

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours.htm

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,764 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

One thing I would not want to miss is the Electric Light Parade at Magic Kingdom which is done only on certain nights, so check the schedule and go to M.K. on the day they are doing that parade when you are there.

Wishes fireworks, Illuminations, and apparently Fantasmic will be done each day in Sept., so working those in on the evenings will be easier to do than the parade.

Level Contributor
361 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

Are you staying inside the park or outside? If inside, go out early in the day, come back and rest by the pool, and go back out for an hour or two. If you are staying outside, stay in the park all day and the leave by dinner. The kids will be exhausted. If you want to go to the night shows, go in park later in the day so kids can make it through the day.

With your kids ages you do not need to park hop..

You will probably spend most of your time in MK where are the best attractions for your kids ages. Are you planning on doing all 4 parks, or want to minimize it.

With only 4 days, I would probably go to MK, HS, and AK...leaving Epcot as the last choice asI feel that the least for the kids to do there. Test Track is closed right now.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

We've had our kids explore the websites and come up with three "must do" attractions for each park. Then, we talk about how we will work to make these things happen. Other things that they see along the way are possibilities, but there are no guarantees. This really gets them involved in the research and gives them a sense of control. It also relieves the pressure of feeling like you must do everything. (And, by the way, the three attractions they have chosen each time are not the same ones that I would have expected them to choose...kids have their own ideas! This time, my youngest insists that we go on the jungle walk in Asia at Animal Kingdom, just to see the large bats.)

Do plan to get to Hollywood Studios right at opening and follow the rest of the crowds to Toy Story Mania. My kids love it, and we missed doing it our first time because we never really planned correctly to get to it in a timely way.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

Thanks for your replies! I think taking a break in the afternoon would be a good idea. We plan on visiting the four parks. Both like to be adventurous, so I don't think there isn't anything that they won't try at least once. Our challenge will be trying to find a compromise between the girly and boy activities (and my daughter meeting the height requirements for the bigger kid rides!).

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
384 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

I agree with many of the other comments. Plan just 3 or 4 priorities for each day. We went with young children last year and i had a huge list to see and do. Just before we left i read similar advice to this post which led me to scale back our "must do's". It made for a much more enjoyable vacation, and we needed to return this year to see what we missed!

9. Re: Need help planning a stress free Disney vacation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:15