We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luguage

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
luguage

can u take cereal in suitcase or will the bag of it explode lol??

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luguage

No you can take cereal in your hold luggage, many people do, but you must declare it on your customs form.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
928 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luguage

i bring back lucky charms, and crisp from USA and its all fine , i bring loads of food home lol

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luguage

When do U declare it never done that before ?? Is it when U take ur luguage ay airport U just tell them ??

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luguage

Yes, it's possible to take cereals, and yes, the cabin pressure may cause the sealed packet to inflate or even burst, although this has never happened to us. Any food stuffs should be declared on the white customs declaration form ( 6059B) that is handed to you either on board or at the check-in desk.

My rule of thumb and one used by many CBP agents is if it can be put in mouth and consumed then it is food. Second rule is full disclosure declaration.

If you are caught not only will you suffer whatever "punishment" you are getting you will also be red-flagged for additional screening in future visits.

Yes the beagle brigade is active at all entry points when a bag is suspected it will be marked and monitored for screening at customs.

Not worth the risk in not declaring any food items.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 15:17
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luguage

I take it this applies to teabags as well.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: luguage

Tea bags too, they just mark a big red letter 'A' on your custom form and then you get directed to a different line so that all your bags can be put through a scanner, yes that is all your bags including hand luggage and hand bag. It adds a matter of seconds to your escape time from the airport :-)

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: luguage

You declare it on the white customs form you are given at check-in or on the plane.

Brighton
Level Contributor
52 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: luguage

Might be worth putting the cereal in an extra plastic bag, as we always take various food items with us and on more than one occassion the packet has burst in our hold luggage. Not much fun picking cornflakes out of your clean clothes!

Sussex
Level Contributor
953 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: luguage

Always taken cereal to and from the us..never had any explosions lol and we have been 7 times! We are pretty much taking a suitcase full of cerreal this time lol even if the plastic bit explodes the cardboard box wont..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: luguage

i,m guessing its the same on way back you have to declare any food? why is this ?