We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

difference between a outlet & a mall

paisley galsgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
difference between a outlet & a mall

i am going for the 1st time and read about the different places to shop ie alamonte mall primium mall andalso i have noticed people talking about outlets .. i am a guy so be kind to me what is the difference...

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: difference between a outlet & a mall

An outlet mall is a shopping plaza that has "discounted" shops. I use quotes because sometimes the prices are significantly discounted and some aren't. Also sometimes the clothing that is made specifically for the outlet shop can't be returned at a regular store and is of a different quality. A mall is a indoor or outdoor plaza of shops that don't have discounted product. All of the Premium malls are outlet/discount malls.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: difference between a outlet & a mall

The distinction is very blurred, as I have sometimes seen better prices at regular malls, such as Florida Mall, Mall at Milennia, or Altamonte Mall, to mention few around Orlando.

Physically, most regular shopping malls have larger department stores -- like Macy's, Dillard's, Sears, Penny's, Nordstrom, Sak's, Neiman-Marcus, etc. -- as anchors, and a variety of chain and a few local shops in between. Outlet malls can have smaller, outlet versions of some of those department stores, like "Off Fifth" or "Nordstrom Rack", where unsold or second-quality merchandise is offered at supposedly deeply-discounted prices.

However, some outlets do sell merchandise that was intended for the outlet in the first place and was never in the regular stores. Many of the smaller shops in outlet malls are branded with manufacturers' names to imply that they are manufacturer direct to the customer, but that is often not the case.

Shoppers expect regular stores to be stocked with a full line of current fashion in a wide selection of sizes, while the expectation of outlet stores is more hit-or-miss with last season's fashions and only some sizes. Where an outlet store does have a full line of current merchandise, it is likely that it is just another regular shop with prices that may not be real bargains, even though it may be physically located in an outlet mall.

Major retailers will object to manufacturers providing current merchandise to outlet malls nearby a regular mall. The largest outlet mall in Orlando is just a mile south of the Mall at Millenia, so the more upscale manufacturers are not as likely to provide discounted current product to outlet stores, especially clothing lines. On the other hand, the big department stores will often have sales -- I have purchased current men's fashions from Macy's at 30-40% off, with a coupon that takes another 20% off that. That value is equal or better to what you could find in an outlet shop, even if you could find current fashion there.

There are bargains to be had at outlet malls, but don't assume that the deals there will always be the best price available on top-quality, current merchandise.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: difference between a outlet & a mall

we found both the outlets and the malls good, dont expect mass savings at the malls but they have the most modern stuff and shops like apple store

yet the outlets are the best for clothing imo

we saved alot in buying from the outlet instead of in uk, especially with GUESS and NORTH FACE upon which i bought alot from for my line of work

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: difference between a outlet & a mall

I've noticed that you can get better deals on some clothes at the regular malls.

JC Peneys is quite competitive (was last time I went to Florida Mall) for Levis 501 compared to the outlets.

Coming from Europe the prices at the outlets are really great, I always stock up at Under Armour, Columbia Sportswear and a few others.

5. Re: difference between a outlet & a mall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2013, 10:15