We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

redcliffe
Level Contributor
14 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

10 nites Orlando 18th Sept 2012 & have flights now not sure about hotels .. being with Teens thinking of splitting in half - doing 5 nights at the HARD ROCK UNINVERSAL - my son's 16th birthday - thought this could work - early access to Uninversal etc also the Malls shopping restaurants etc at this end & the cooler accom & then the balance 5 nights closer to DISNEYWORLD -would most likely do the 3 or 4 day full disney parks at that end. eg maybe HOLIDAY INN OR A SELF CONTAINED property ??

What do you think could this work - or are we better off just staying at the 1 place & travelling each day to & fro.??

** may also not be doing the hire care thing this trip - just want to relax & will use shuttles/bus / taxi ?

any tips would be greatly appreciated...

UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

I think a split stay would work but I would go three nights at Universal for the front of line passes and early entry then head to Disney. I cannot recommend the Hilton Parc Soleil enough as a great choice of hotel. The suites are lovely and it's a short driving distance to Disney. Also hire a car ... it really does make life so much easier and avoids all the waiting around for public transport.

liverpool uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

Best bit of advice would be to hire a car,very cheap and you will save a fortune on taxis,not sure i would bother with disney in my opinion universal studios/islands of adventure more suited to your age group and better value.

Very easy to get accomodation whilst you are over there so if you dont like the place you are in just pack up and move and never pay the advertised price on the board outside the hotel barter and you will be suprised how much the price drops

pa
Level Contributor
54,188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

A split stay will work but I would move to a Disney Resort for your last 4 nights, at least. Giving 1 full day for each of the 4 Disney Parks. You will have free transport to the Disney Parks from your Disney Resort as well as free transport back to the Airport ( MCO ) There is still an offer for Room Discounts, check that out

wdwinfo.com/discounts/…room

Here some of the Disney Resort options http://allears.net/acc/resortvids.htm

For discounted Park Tickets ( note for Disney, the more days you play, the less it costs per day, that makes it more cost effective ) www.undercovertourist.com

redcliffe
Level Contributor
14 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

Thank you for speedy reply, will take tips onboard - so helpful with planning.

In the past we have Hired a car & drove - but this time hubby can't come he has to work so it will just be the kids & I - I usually do all the driving - but as they drive on the other side of the road to us - last time in the USA left the driving to him. But looks like I just need to bite the bullet & do it... Cause it seems it really Would make so much more sense...

thanks again - really helpful

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

Hi Redjett, I too am from Oz :-) sth of Brisbane in fact!!!

Last time we were in the states I did all the driving as my husband wasn't as confident as I was. It doesn't take long to master it!!!! My first turn at traffic lights....just out of the airport car hire yard....& I ended up in the oncoming traffic lane!!!!!!! Everyone just slowed & stopped and allowed me to race across to the other side!!!!! Quite funny actually. That was the only time I stuffed up though lol

You will be fine. I personally do like the sound of staying on-site for Disney, however each to their own hey.

Have a great time :-)

AJ

Edited: 07 July 2012, 12:44
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,941 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

I have been traveling to Disney with teens fir a while now since I have 6 kids, oldest now 21. Stay onsite at each place. Makes the vacation even better that they have freedom to stay in the Parks later. Some of mine would head out to H.S ride RnR a few times then join us in the park we were at. This will also give you some time to sit by the pool with a book.

Part of why we love Orlando is no driving and we are from the U.S.

You would only need shuttle to your Universal resort and then your transfer to a Disney resort (Disney will bring you to MCO). It would be cheaper then a rental car.

7. Re: Aussie family 2 teens (16 & 13) all big kids trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 20:17