We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Bedford NH
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

We are heading to Disneyworld 3rd week in Aug for 7 ays/6 nights. Woo hoo! My (just turned 18) daughter and her 17 yr old friend are going with my boyfriend and myself. They are old enough to be on their own most of the time as my daughter and I know the parks quite well. I do not want her wandering around with wads of cash. Neither of the girls has a credit card yet (thank goodness!). Should I get several pre-paid debit cards and give them to her daily? Or just one and re-load it daily? What if they lose it? This will be mainly for food for 2 teen girls per day. How much do you think I should allot daily for this? They are slim and are more of pickers and snackers (although they both love a big breakfast) than sit down for big meals all the time girls. We are staying at the Dolphin Resort so Disney Dining Plan is not an option. Help. Thanks :)

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

I would take a look at getting a FairFX card for them, you can reload it free of charge and generally they work incredibly well.

I am actually setting one up now for when I go to the West Coast of America in August. You could load it up with some Dollars and only you will be able to top it up again. You can top up online as well, you can also top up by phone I believe so no problem there.

The website is below.

http://www.fairfx.com/

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,088 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Isn't the FairFX card a UK product? The OP lives in New Hampshire (USA).

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

You are very right, sorry for my suggestion. Though further research it seems as if FairFX do not deliver to the United States. Please disregard that suggestion, thankyou Orlando_Vic for pointing that out.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

You can easily get visa prepaid cards. Or get them Disney cards--prepaid with a bit of fun. Take a look at prices, and ask the girls if they are able to budget daily, or would prefer a new card every day. At that age they should be able to figure out how long $200 would last?

Southern England
Level Contributor
110 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Thomas Cook pre-paid dollar Mastercards are great and cost nothing to use - except approx. £2 if you withdraw cash from an ATM. You can monitor the expenditure online and top up whenever you like. If you lose it, they replace it very very quickly. We've just used one in Orlando and it worked brilliantly, even for spending just a few dollars. I would actually highly recommend the 'all you can eat' deals in the parks too - you really get your money's worth and it includes non-alcoholic drinks. Get these from guest services when you arrive.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Prepaid visa/mastercard cards are a great idea, my daughter picked up one at Safeway. You might look into a Disney prepay, I don't know the logistics but if you could reload it at the park that would be great. As far as losing it, well if it's gone it's gone. If you don't think they could handle that you might look into travelers checks but I don't know if minors can use those.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Prepaid visa/mastercard cards are a great idea, my daughter picked up one at Safeway. You might look into a Disney prepay, I don't know the logistics but if you could reload it at the park that would be great. As far as losing it, well if it's gone it's gone. If you don't think they could handle that you might look into travelers checks but I don't know if minors can use those.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Sorry about the double post, don't know how that happened

Bedford NH
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Its ok :D Thank you anyway. Have a safe trip to the West Coast of our beautiful country.

Bedford NH
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-paid debit cards for teens in the parks

Pre paid Disney cards? Sounds like a great idea. Thank you.