We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

England
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

There have been so many threads recently with regards to tolls and transponders that I thought this link might be useful for most visitors (especially from the UK) to clarify these issues and charges.

It gives you a listing of all Hire Car companies and their toll-pass systems and charges. This should enable anybody to make an informed decision as who to hire from and what to expect in respect of charges.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Hope this is useful to anybody ;)

ireland
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

Thanks trolli, we are not going until next June, and as the expression goes "forewarned is forearmed" !!!!! so just correct me if I'm wrong, the Toll pass/sun pass is useable on all tolls around the Orlando/Tampa/Sand key area ? thanks

England
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

If you opt in you do not have to stop at the toll booths anywhere in Florida, just drive through the toll-pass lane and it registers automatically and debits the money from the CC you left at the hire company.

Particularly useful when driving around Miami or on the turnpike but works all over the place.

ireland
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

Thanks Trolli, thats super info.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

Very very good info :-)

Cheers Trolli!!!

England
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

bump; for anybody interested.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

The information presented does not appear to apply to Dollar. The Dollar website shows: (1) higher per day rates (2) no option to select weekly rate or info on the max weekly rate....so I called and got no information stating other than above. The operator said just daily rates. That is steep over a couple of weeks. But Dollars website prices dropped from last month and today 3 times...and once I deleted their cookies and used a ISP blocker and used NO promo codes - I got a rate less than 10$ a for a Ford Fusion so I am happy. I am going to decline Dollars SunPass but will pick up the new surpass-mini with suction cups at a drugstore as it can be reused and plate information changed for future trips. I am driving to St. Petes and the Keys and will be using cashless tolls.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 00:00
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

CanadianBoys, the Mini cannot be reused if it is applied as directed. There are no suction cups - it is a "peel and stick" to the windscreen thing.

The one with the suction cups is more expensive than the Mini.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

I meant the portable one with suction cups - first link below.

https://www.sunpass.com/pdf/MiniWebPDF_E.pdf

https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassInstallation

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

Can't I just pay cash on the toll booths?

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll-pass/Sun Pass info for users of Hire Cars

Yes, you can just use the regular right-hand cash lanes at Toll Plazas. As far as i'm aware there are cashless tolls on the Selmon Crosstown Expressway in Tampa, and Some toll roads in Dade county including the turnpike are cashless. If you only intend to visit the attraction areas, then all booths have cash lanes.