We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Best Deal ??

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental – Best Deal ??

Hi,

We hope to come to Orlando mid October and would like to hire a car… Nothing fancy we are on a major budget so we just want a car that will fit 2 average size cases and a stroller.

With the car we want full cover – if we hit someone – someone hits us etc. We will also need to hire a Sat Nav & a Car Seat….

Which car company do you recommend we contact for the best deal ??

Thanks in advance

Rotherham
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

Ive just booked car hire through ....... Argus carhire as i found them loads cheaper than anyone else for what i needed.

woodchops

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

Thanks woodchops

Ill look into them :)

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

rules maybe differnet for you coming form Europe but try orbitz.com website for the car rental.

I would bring my own car seat for the kid. Airlines usually take them free of charge. We hand carry ours and check it at the gate.

Buy your own sat nav at home and buy the US maps.

Check your exisitng car insurance and get the rental car addition and take a letter form your insurance company stating that you have this insurance.

All of the additions you mention will more than double the rental cost. I would guess $10/day for the car seat, $15 for the sat nav and $20 for the insurance.

Insurance can be mor ethan the car rental.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

Personally, I always prefer to book directly with the car agency. It may be different for those of you overseas, but usually if you book through any 3rd-party site/agent, it's non-refundable, and you can't change anything.

When I book through the actual rental company (I prefer National/Enterprise/Alamo, all the same company), I can change anything I want, modify my dates, add/remove extras, all for no extra charge. In fact, modifying my rentals often results in a cost savings.

If you book direct, make sure you choose your country in the little dropdown menu. This way they'll include the LDW/insurance you'll need, and there won't (shouldn't) be any surprise charges when you arrive.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

Tks for the advice everyone

Va
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

Shop around rental car prices change like the stock market.

If you want to save money skip the nav and the car seat. You can buy a Garmin for $80 if you really need it. Most comapnies will charge your $10-15 a day for nav. Getting around Olando really isn't that hard. People got around for years with the maps they give you at the airport.

Car seats are the same. Bring your own or buy one when you get there. You can get a car seat similar to what you rent that is new for $40.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

I might look at bringing our own car seat but there is no way we'd travel in the US without a sat nav... 100% no way :) and we've been to orlando twice ha!

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

www.virginatlantic.com have an offer on at the moment where you get the sat nav for £1.50 per night. Their maximum insurance (platinum) and full tank of petrol option is £5.00 per night. Just chose your car and options and your sorted.

You don't have to book your flight/holiday with Virgin to use their website for car rental. Just make sure that you use VA not VH.

Regards,

Deaconblue.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 15:18
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

Thanks Deaconblue but i dont have exact dates so i will prob miss out on this offer - its very good :(

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental – Best Deal ??

If you're going to be visiting for quite a few days, it would be less expensive for you to either bring your own carseat or buy an inexpensive seat from Walmart. Renting a seat could add up. Renting a Nav system is convenient and helpful, but also costly. You might want to buy one as someone suggested. If you're staying in a hotel...the front desk usually has booklets of coupons with an area map on the back. It shows your hotel as starting point and they can trace a path for you to wherever you want to go. Many also provide written directions for major attractions. We used them before navigation systems got so popular and it's not so hard. The Orlando / Kissimmee / Lake Buena Vista tourists areas are very well marked. Makes it pretty simple to get anywhere.