We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

Hi everyone,

We're travelling to Orlando in April 2013. Our children will be 5 years old and 17 months old.

We are hiring a car through Virgin with Alamo and are planning to take our 5 year olds booster seat with us but do not fancy taking our stage 2 car seat for our 17 month old. We're worried about damage but also it is bulky to carry around when our hands will be very much full!

Can anyone tell me what the car seats are like to hire and also how much please? Has anyone done this? Advice welcome!

Thanks.

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

Personally I have never hired one!! Far too risky in my opinion, for a couple of reason, one you do not know how clean they are! and the main reason, you do not know the history so not sure if it has been involved in an accident etc.

My advise would be to find a really cheap one from the UK, that is easy to carry and take that! I know it is a bit of a pain, but for peace of mind may be easier.

I have taken foster children of that age and I always take my own car seats really cheap ones that way does not matter if it gets damaged, and I keep it as my holiday car seat ! So not bothered if it gets scratched !

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

Always found a really big clear garbage bag and packed the seat inside two of them (double bagged) with a number of large stick on labels with our name. address etc. We never had any issues.

I would take my own as well for the same reasons listed above as I have seen some pretty dirty seats sitting in a pile just waiting for soemone like you to rent one..

Va
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

I am not sure I would feel comfortable using one of their car seats. I have seen them and they were not the greatest looking car seats. I would rather drive to walmart and buy one than use those. If you are paying to rent one, it probably comes out less to buy one than rent one for a week. I think they charge $7-10 a day.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
309 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

The bagged car seat we picked up was clean, so can only speak from experience that ours was OK.

I would hope you could trust Alamo to throw away any car seats that had been involved in accidents that would cause the seat to be damaged. These instances must be fairly few and far between.

Strictly speaking if I have a 14 month old in my car I need the car seat there and then, driving to Walmart is not really an option if you are being completely safe with your wee one (I know 99.99 times out of a hundred it won't be a problem, but there's always a tiny chance of an accident especially if you have been flying for 9 hours, are tired, and are getting used to a different car on the other side of the road).

After a long journey from the UK I'll take the car seat from the hire car company rather than trekking off to buy one.

The daily cost was in the region that sungod mentioned, but it was capped at $60.00, as we were there for 2 weeks the daily rate worked out at much less.

Nottingham, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

thanks for replying. We had the same thought but the problem we have is how do we drive from the airport if we don't have a car seat? The villa we are ataying in has one I think but we still face the same dilemma and therefore hiring seems to be best option. Still undecided though.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

We've rented carseats from Alamo and they have been just fine and they helped us install them. Last time we rented one,it was $6 a day.

Va
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

disfan,

How long ago was that? I think their policy on assisting the install has changed because I had to help a Eruopean family in May install theirs because the Alamo people said they were not allowed because of insurance issues. The car seat was set up for the LATCH system and the poor family had no idea how to connect it.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

We had one last may, the seat was fine - brand new, with tags still on. You chose your own from

a huge pile. They wouldn't install it for us, but the helpful assistant sat in the car & basically showed dh what needed to go where. He said he couldn't live with himself if he didn't offer help & we got in an accident & we hadn't installed it correctly.

If we struggle again this year, I will be asking for the same type of help again.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
309 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

Checked my Alamo receipt when I got home from work, just to confirm the cost of the car seat was $70 plus tax for the two weeks, not $60 as I posted earlier.

We'd heard that there was no chance we would get help installing the seat so didn't ask, but sounds like you may be lucky and get a helpful employee, certainly worth asking. It was a bit confusing for us as you attached the main strap to a kind of bolt on the floor, which is nothing like the UK. Once we'd worked that bit out it wasn't too bad.

Va
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo stage 2 car seat hire in Orlando

$70? wow, you could have bought one for less. The type they rent sells at walmart for $39.