We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

edinburgh
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

Just read a post on advice about taking pictures of car at pick up so that you are not charged for any damage.Has this happened to anyone in Orlando.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

Not me in any country

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

No-and I wouldn't bother taking pictures;we inspect the car and report any damage before we leave the garage-if you want to avoid being charged for pre existing damage,this is what you are supposed to do.

portsmouth
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

Always check before we leave and point out any marks to them

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

Definitely check the car before you remove it from the parking lot, generally the car rep will walk around the car with you and note any marks, dents, or scratches. I one time had a car company charge me for a scratch that they claimed wasn't there, the cost was $400.00, I disputed it with my credit card company and won...as it was there and had made note of it on my rental agreement!

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

You shouldn't get charged anything if you have taken out the necessary insurances. We always have a look around the car and point out anything obvious. We once noticed a crack in the tail light glass when we arrived at our villa. I rang them and they just said 'No problem, you're insured'. When we took the vehicle back nobody said anything about it and it had got worse during the two weeks.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

thats what i was thinking deacon.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

There's always the chance that you might have missed something in the "walk around" so pictures would come in handy here.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

Several years ago our car got damaged in the car park at the Homewood Suites on I - Drive. We took the car down to the Alamo location at Four Points Sheraton and explained to the guy what had happened. He didn't even come out to look at it. Just said that when we return it to the airport location to explain what had happened. The guy there just said " looks like the other car will be more damaged than yours, a bit of T-Cut will do this". No problems

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

My dh always goes round the car and checks it out and any thing he sees he points it out and puts it down on the agreement ,never had any problems

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone been charged for damage to car hire car /

I always do photos now as a precaution. A few years ago I was contacted for supposed damage to the air dam under the front bumper but I told them I knew nothing about the damage and don't normally inspect that part of the car. Nothing else came of it. That's when I started taking photos.