We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$21 per day valet, do you tip?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
upstate new york
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
$21 per day valet, do you tip?

I will be staying at the Embassy Suites and they charge a daily fee for mandatory valet. Do I still tip and if so how much? This will be my first time using a valet.

166 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

Yes, usually a few dollars when you receive your car.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

Do you mean valet parking? If so, then I agree with kat228. I usually give $2.

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

If you're paying a mandatory fee for valet parking IMHO they can take any tip out of the fee. TBH I'd change Hotels to somewhere that accepts that you are quite capable of parking yourself.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

That's kinda high for valet parking .... I would expect it to be $10 to $15 tops. So I think the tip is built into the fee.

But I agree that you should find a hotel that has self parking .... and for free.

upstate new york
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

Sorry, yes it is valet parking, downtown Orlando. The reservations are made, non-refundable. I chose this hotel for several reasons but really have not experienced valet parking.

I guess I'll have to ask about deducting the tips from the hotel bill. Is this allowed at some hotels?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

Maybe you can find a public parking garage nearby that doesn't charge as much.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

If you will be taking your car in and out you might want to give them $1 or $2 when you take the car. If you're going to park once and only get it when you leave if you don't feel like leaving a tip because you spent $80 on parking then don't worry about it.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

*sigh* At some hotels, the only option you have is valet. If that is the case, you must pay the parking fee and a tip is considered good etiquette. My Dad taught me to only give a tip once the car has come back to you and looks good, not as you hand over the keys...but that can be up for discussion. If you are taking it in and out, I would give a couple dollars every time you receive your car (if they help you with your bags, then a dollar or two per bag as well.)

Remember that the parking charge (valet fee, whatever you want to call it) is set by the hotel and is determined by what other similar hotels do in the market. When you insist on not giving a tip because of the valet fee, you're just coming off as a jerk (I'd use other terms, but it's probably not permitted.) It's not the person taking your car who sets the pricing. I have never encountered a hotel that includes a tip with it's valet fee, but I suppose there's always that possibility and it wouldn't hurt to check with the hotel, but that's not the usual case.

When I travel, I always get some one's from the bank in case I run into someone who helps me with my bag, takes my car, etc. To me it is considered part of the expense of traveling.

Because I travel to larger cities for work, I pay close attention to hotels parking policies when I make the booking. Be sure to check that they only have valet as an option instead of both valet and self-park. Sometimes that information is quite hidden on hotel websites.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

Compared to most questions on here this hotel is located downtown. I would imagine parking is limited or metered in the area. Haven't been to Downtown Orlando.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $21 per day valet, do you tip?

FWIW, valet parking in Hollywood (Westin Diplomat) is $24/day and in South Beach several years ago was $25.

Reply to: $21 per day valet, do you tip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted