We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break discounts and crowds

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break discounts and crowds

We are considering a trip to WDW Mar 9 - Mar 17, 2013. This is Spring Break week for us and some friends with whom we'd like to vacation. We will have 2 families - we have an 11 year old and our friends have 2 girls aged 8 and 5.

How bad will the crowds be this week?

Can we avoid some of the crowds by going to a park NOT offering EMH or will all the parks be equally crowded?

Are there any hotel/park/dining discounts traditionally offered during this time that we should anticipate?

Should we book now or wait for any potential discounts to appear?

Considering it is Spring Break, are there any recommended resorts that might not be filled with throngs screaming teens/college kids?

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

I wouldn't worry too much about the "Spring Breakers"

The biggest crowds are the week before and the week after Easter. Next year Easter is March 31st so you will be gone before the big crowds arrive. Dis ey World isn't the Big Draw for College age kids, wouldn't worry about that either

There have been some very nice Room Discounts for your time frame. Typically 10 - 15% off for Value Resorts, 20 - 25% off for Moderate Resorts and up to 35 % off at Deluxe Resorts and Villas

Free Dining has also been offered but there have been no rumors about that being offered again

Another nice deals have been Buy four get Three Free and an up to $200 free Gift Card

For a history of Disney Resort Discounts

mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html

I would highly recommend

Value - Pop Century

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2793105

Moderate - Coronado Springs

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2568966

Deluxe - Wilderness Lodge

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2778033

Resort Videos

http://allears.net/acc/resortvids.htm

You can book now, direct with Disney or an official Disney Travel Agent such as AAA, if a member or www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

When and if a New Offer is announced, you can Modify your reservation

Edited: 12 August 2012, 23:55
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

Thanks for the quick reply.

If a discount is offered later that we want to take advantage of, how do we go about getting it?

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

If you have booked directly with Disney, just give a call and ask if the New Deal can be applied to your existing reservation. If you have booked with an Official Disney Travel Agent, contact them and they can do the work for you

I use Dreamsunlimited often because they will continue to look for discounts for you and will notify you when and if one becomes available. They deal directly with Disney on your behalf

Keep in mind when there is a discount or Deal, the number of rooms is limited. If you have booked a certain room Catagory and the new deal doesn't include that Catagory, you may have to change your room selection in order to qualify. I have booked many times and Modified my reservation many times with out having to change room Catagory but wanted to point that out. Not every single room is included in every single discount offer or Deal

When you book a room only reservation you will need to make a deposit equal to 1 nights room rate. The balance is due at check in

When you book a Package reservation ( room, tickets, dining etc ) you need to make a deposit of $200. The balance is due 45 days prior to arrival.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

We have traveled during this exact same week of March, for 10 years. First, discounts for your dates are rare. You may need to arrive a day or two earlier than planned, to take advantage of a "free dining" offer. Room discounts no longer apply to your entire trip. They are on a day by day basis. So again, watch your dates. You could have a discount on Friday and then the rest of your week is at full price.

Second, if you have your heart set on a specific resort, book it now. Every resort will be filled to capacity, during your dates. Better to secure your preferred resort and room category, now.

Book your dining, at exactly 180 days, plus 10, out. If you want Cindy's Castle, Chef Mickey, LeCellier or O'Hana, you need to be right on top of it. These reservations will be "sold out" for the week, before the public gets a chance to book.

This is the 3rd busiest week of the year, behind Christmas and Easter. Get to the parks at rope-drop, use Fast Pass, use EMH, and invest in a "park hopper". Magic Kingdom often closes to capacity, on Saturday night. If you plan to watch the parade and fireworks, don't leave the park. You may not be allowed to return.

Now for the good news. We love this time of year! The weather is fabulous, there are longer park hours, more shows, more parades, more characters, more dining venues, longer restaurant hours, more boats, buses and monorails, and the Flower and Garden Festival is magical.

Have a plan, yet be flexible. You'll have a wonderful trip!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

Thanks for your response.

I've only ever been to WDW in November before and it was always pretty empty to the point that we rode many rides 3 times in a row without ever getting out of the vehicle. Even though I've been to the park about 10 times, crowds will be a new experience for me.

We will be traveling with a family who has never been to a Disney park and they have no idea how big it is or how many people there will be Their expectations do not match reality. I know I overplan, but I feel it is justified for this occasion.

I would like to avoid some of the crowds by going to the parks that are not doing EMH that day. We are not morning people and, realistically, just won't be at rope drop.

I've been to Ohana, 1900, and Crystal Palace. No desire to go to Le Cellier. But since it is their first time and they have two little princesses, I'm sure they'd like to go to Cindy's or Aukershus. That's where I have trouble convincing them they need to book right away. Oh well... that will be up to them.

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

I would highly recommend the Evening Extra Magic Hours. We aren't morning people either but very much enjoy the Parks later at night. We plan our days based on the Evening Extra Magic Hours, taking advantage of as many as we can and then book our Advance Dining Reservatuons based on the Park of the Day ( or night as the case may be ) , eating at one of that Park Restaurants or at a near by Resort Restaurant to that Park of the day, helps to cut down on transport time

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

And I'd recommend a travel agent who will plan your park days for you. That can be invaluable!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

Bump for Zaplady12

9. Re: Spring Break discounts and crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 23:16