We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

Portstewart, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

Hi my family and I are due to fly out to Newark on Sunday morning from Belfast UK then wee will be getting a connecting flight to Orlando on Sunday evening as Wee are going on our first ever Disney world vacation, which wee are looking forward to very much...But wee just found out today that the Tropical Storm Isaac was going to hit Florida in the middle of next week I am very worried and am not sure what to do for the best:((...Sharon

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

The storm MIGHT hit Florida. And if it does hit directly, it will be the west coast not central Florida. We won't know exactly where or if it will hit for a few days. Don't cancel. You will get some rain from the outer bands (and it will be more than a normal summer thunderstorm) so pack some raincoats or ponchos and enjoy yourself. It's rare they close the parks and there are certain parks that are better during rain than others. You picked the busiest time for hurricane season to visit so it's a risk.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 03:38
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

I would still go. Florida is used to storms and are prepared. Where I live 3 inches of snow in the winter stops nothing. Down south the same snow shuts down towns.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

I agree, do not cancel your vacation. When it comes to storms like this, many variables can change over the next few days, as is any weather report.

Be prepared that there may be more rain than normal for a couple of days. We always buy some ponchos before leaving home and pack a small umbrella. Just take things a day at a time and make the best of it. :-)

You can keep an eye on the storm:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Edited: 25 August 2012, 03:47
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
497 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

don't want to be a wet blanket, but keep an eye on your airlines, I seriously doubt your flight to orlando will get in on sunday night... maybe just in case you could make a reservation now for the town you change planes in??? you can always cancel it?

I think they will have 30 MPH winds in Orlando by Sunday night, if that happens the airport shuts down. at any rate your cutting it close, can you go a day early? The storm is just a bunch of rain and some gusty wind, not a strong storm at all. maybe keep a close eye on weather channel, or www.acuweather.com go to the hurricane section.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

On the basis that cancelling a holiday at such short notice would cost thousands, I would just go for it.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,956 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

You cannot be serious cancel just in case theres a tropical storm this is surely a spoof post

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

A storm hit when I went as a child in 1993, me and my sister loved the fact it happened at the end of our holiday- only lasted a few days an as a result we flew home from Miami instead after being out up in a hotel there for a few nights. I wouldn't cancel

Devon
Level Contributor
117 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

Ditto - just go for it.

We were in Orlando when Hurricane Jeanne hit in 2004.

We spent the day in the hotel room and it was actually an incredible experience to see the force of the wind and rain. The kids loved it.

The next day, although there was a lot of damage, everything started to get back to normal. The parks re-open and life carries on.

We had a tropical storm in Mexico last year, luckily it was downgraded from a Hurricane but again we had torrential rain for a couple of days, then the sun comes out and off you go again.

Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

Sounds like a spoof post. Troll.

LPNerdNC..30mph winds? Are you sure the airport will close? We are in the middle of 40mph winds and it is only a breeze to us. Our airports are still open!.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
690 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you think I should cancel my family vacation???

I would not cancel the vacation. If you don't have cancellation insurance, it is going to be very expensive to do so. We were in Florida (Naples, Orlando, Miami and Tampa) from July 28 to August 7 of this year. Hurricane Ernesto was heading towards Florida, but never made landfall. On August 6th, we received a lot of rain and lightning in the late afternoon and evening. Disney closed down around supper time. Our flight out of Tampa in the early morning of the 7th was not affected at all.