We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Cove or Universal

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Discovery Cove or Universal

I am going next year to Orlando (it will be our 7th year in a row with my children). We've gone to MK, Epcot, AK, Disney studios and the disney water parks.

we wanted to try something different. I have children that will be 11, 9 and 6 1/2. I was thinking of doing Discovery cove including the dolphin encounter plus sea world and aquatica. But I am worried that my 6 1/2 year old won't enjoy the dolphin encounter and the whole DC experience and the price is so steep. would it be worth waiting another year until she is older and going to Universal/Islands of Adventure instead? I've never been there and I realize I am comparing two totally different experiences, but does anyone have an opinion of which experience a 6 1/2 year old would like the best?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovery Cove or Universal

I have not been to DC yet but planning on doing that in Feb. Have been to Universal a few times but not UIA. My youngest was 7 when we first did Disney, Universal etc and his favorite was Universal even over Disney. He is now 30 and going back for the first time since then and he still wants to go back to Universal so it did have a impression on him! Having said all this I think both places would be great for your 6 1/2 year old and don't think the dolphin encounter would be fine unless he/she is afraid of animals. Have a great trip!

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovery Cove or Universal

Islands of Adventure is a must in my opinion and my 6 year old daughter agrees!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovery Cove or Universal

We brought our 7 year old to Discovery cove and he loved it. The dolphin experience is truly amazing. The whole day is totally worth the money as you will not spend anything once you are inside (apart from photographs, if you are like us). Universal and IOA are great aswell though so its a tough decision. Personally I would go with Discovery Cove as you are already going to Disney theme parks.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovery Cove or Universal

My vote goes to Discovery Cove, the entire family will enjoy this amazing park and if you add Sea World and Aquatica...WOW!! I think if you did Universal and Islands of Adventure your 6 year old would have some issues with ride restrictions at Islands.

Ashburn VA
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovery Cove or Universal

I absolutely vote for Discovery Cove. We took our 7 year old son there and he loved it. It is very expensive, though. I agree. We had a newborn with us as well and it was July so we got a cabana. It was over $800 for the day. It was worth it to do once, though.

6. Re: Discovery Cove or Universal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:17