We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockroaches

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cockroaches

Hi TA Family.

We have been to Orlando quite a few times and never seen a cockroach apart from our last visit which freaked me out and we left the hotel within 20 minutes of checking in. My question is - the "cockroach" incident happened in July, the other times we have stayed have always been January or September, we are staying again in January - is it only the hotter months that the cockroaches come out?

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cockroaches

You get cockroaches in every country, never seen 1 in florida though, i work in pest control you need to take a chill pill, worry about snakes and spidars that do harm.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cockroaches

The ones we usually see in Florida are Florida woods cockroaches, also called Palmetto bugs. They aren't really considered major household pests and usually are found outdoors in Palmetto trees, bushes or under leaves. They don't have much tolerance for cold, so they are attracted to warm, humid, damp places. They aren't really an indication of an untidy dwelling, but are simply attracted to lush areas or damp places, such as a laundry room, bathroom or around kitchen sink baseboards. We've not seen them often, but when we did it was actually a luxury resort villa with an exterior entry way or patio. Probably less chance of finding them in a resort with interior halls...of course anything is possible. We simply had maintenace come and spray, problem was solved.

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cockroaches

We saw a cockraoch in MCO ...just make sure you do not walk on one ...you will be spreading their eggs everywhere

Annie

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cockroaches

As long as you stay away from the ones buying & selling used park tickets you should be ok. ;-)

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cockroaches

Thank you Mrsrad for your explanation. Yes, palmetto bugs are big roaches. Yes, they usually live outside. they often come in when it is dry outside, as they like a moist environment. You are not going to spread eggs by bopping them. Take off your sandal, bop them good, then pick up and dispose of. It is the tropics!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cockroaches

Cockroaches (Palmetto bugs) are common in Florida. It part of living or visiting an area that is warm and moist. It isn't a reflection of the unit you are in or the home you're visiting to see one. Buy a can of Raid when you get here and spray it. If you see some tiny roaches where you're stay though run for the hills.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cockroaches

Thanks guys for the info, I was really freaked when I had them in a room I stayed at (no tree's around and was on the 7th floor and not just 1, probably 7/8) I will get a can of Raid from the Wallmart opposite the hotel I'm staying in just in case. Thanks to GK95 - I'm now going to have nightmares of little ones everywhere lol.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cockroaches

Forgot to say - Bluesbro that is the funniest thing (and probably right) I have ever seen on TA hehe

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cockroaches

Sorry ORLANDOLOVER72! : ) The little ones are German cockroaches and if you see a couple in the drawers or cabinets then there are thousands behind the walls. It's generally a sign of a place being not clean (blech!).

u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cockroaches

We found cockroaches in our villa. The first one was on the stairs, the next one walking across the ceiling and the others in the games room. I contacted the owner and they were quite blase about it! Didn't seem to think I should be concerned about it! I was terrified we would inadvertently bring one home in our suitcase,yuk! I would never recommend the villa to anyone based on that alone otherwise it was nice.