We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

I intend travelling by hire car from Kissimmee to Miami in a few weeks whilst on holiday but have heard that the toll system when using a hire car can be very expensive due to the admin fees charged by the car hire companies. Is there any way to avoid toll roads and if not, what is the system for payment when using a hire car?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask which car rental company you are booked with please, it will help with the correct answer?

uk
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

Hi Laura

You can follow HWY 27 to Miami and avoid tolls completely .Some of the roads around the Miami area are cashless so you have no chance to pay for the tolls and you will be billed by the hire company but as Shirley says each one has a different system of charges

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

If using a sat nav you will be given the option to plan your route avoiding toll roads

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

You can check the admin fees charged by the rental companies on this website: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

The three at the bottom of the list have the most reasonable charges.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,455 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

We rented with Alamo (in Miami) and their charge came to around £12 for our two week holiday! I think they are one of the cheapest for the toll transponders. We were billed for the charge once we were back home. We went through about 6 tolls (there and back) on our trip down to the Keys.

Edited: 09 September 2012, 18:22
Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

If you want to get from Kissimmee to Miami and avoid toll roads you can take I-4 east to W. Colonial Drive. Head east on Colonial for a good 40-50 miles until you get to I-95. Then head south on I-95 until you get to Miami.

I would suggest though you just take the toll roads to get to Miami. The drive across Colonial will be a looooong one until you get to the Christmas area. There are a lot of stop lights. Search on the TA forums for "mini Sun Pass" which will tell you how to get the automated pass that you load. That will save you on the administrative fees the rental agencies charge.

Edited: 09 September 2012, 19:37
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

Taking I-4 East - it really goes NNE at that part - will take you too far North. To catch I-95, if you want that option, take hwy 192 East out of K. It puts you on the I-95 in the Melbourne area.

Look at a map to check.

Someone I know who lives in K always takes hwy 27 to travel between K and Miami. Only busy area you might meet is between Avon Park and Sebring.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

Looking at a map, you can simply head East on 192 to I-95 and then South to Miami, all without tolls.

Edited: 09 September 2012, 20:08
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,918 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

As long as you are not going to the keys you can avoid the toll roads. If just going to miami the suggestion of taking 192 straight to I-95 is the best. No need to get on I-4. The other route (Hwy 27) is fine but it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It skirts Lake Okeechobee but you really can't see the lake and most of the drive is thru sugar cane fields.

However there are other toll roads in Miami besides the turnpike. I believe the 836 also has tolls. The mini sunpass may be the better idea.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding toll roads from Kissimmee to Miami

Why avoid the toll roads? They are the fastest and easiest way to get there?

Use them, but pay cash esp if you are renting via Dollar or thrifty (who are the most expensive). If using alamo, don't worry and use their transponder. The speed and ease of using the cashless tolls is worth the $12 cost or so. But not the $40 a week Dollar will charge you.

If paying cash, then get off the turnpike around Ft Lauderdale and onto I95 to avoid the cashless tolls that start in Dade county.

Driving rt 27 is like watching paint dry- long and so not for me ;-)