We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do-able is August, really?

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How do-able is August, really?

Ideally we would have preferred to do our one and only holiday of a lifetime in Orlando at Easter, because i understand it's cooler.

However, the childrens school holidays and my own don't overlap sufficiently to get 2 weeks in, and I think they might well need a few days to recover from all busy stuff we plan to for into the 2 weeks as well as the time difference/jet lag before going back to school.

So we are left with going in the 6 weeks summer hols (which would be perfect for breaking up such a long break, but it sounds like far from perfect from the point of view of everything else!!!).

Will we be fried alive/crushed in the queues (we'll be doing probably the most poplar attractions as we are only likely to be going once!) and will we be exhausted from the heat?

My plan was to hire a car, rent a villa with pool within 10 mins of Disney, have 8 -10 full days out during the 2 week at attractions within 90 mins drive, spend the evenings unwinding by the pool and the other days either doing half days at smaller very local attractions, or if we are really flagging, stay by the pool, or visit a local park or similar low key activity.

Does this sound alright, obviously people visit Orlando in August, but I hear over and over again 'AVOID!!!' but we really don't think we can!!!

Essex basildon
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do-able is August, really?

i just come back from the 20aug-3sep

and i was shocked by how easy crowds and rides were!!!... Yes we had the Isaac weather to deal with early on, (bad rain for a few days in afternoon) but once that went its and ideal time, and yes can get hot...MK and a few disney parks were still busy. I went on harrypotter twice, walked on the first time almost..!!

We almost booked Easter as we cant take kids out of school, but glad we went end of august. (my work deadlines too)

Edited: 10 September 2012, 12:25
Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do-able is August, really?

Easter is one of the busiest times of the year. Alot of people love august - have done the last two weeks of August and last wk August first wk Sept and it is bearable. It is the humidity rather than the heat.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do-able is August, really?

Hi cheekysmile.

For a villa really close to Disney you need to send a privatre message to floridashirl she has a fantastic villa.

Thus is how we found Florida in August

We made our first trip to Florida in August when the kids were at school.

We found it too HOT & humid for the kids, . Thundrstorms most afternoons which lasted about 30 - 40 minutes, but did cool you down then the sun comes out and the humidity :-(

When you get back into your car after visiting the parks it's too hot to get into, apart from parking for Universal & IOA where you park under cover which is brilliant as you get lots of breeze coming through.

The parks we found to be very busy if you are prepard to stand in a "Q" for 30 mins up to 2 hours for a ride in sweltering heat then just be prepared for narky kids.

Best to go to the parks late afternoon and stay till they close at night when it does get cooler but not by much. Then you can see the fireworks at the parks

It is still a great holiday in August as all the water parks are open and the water is fantastic.

ajg

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,934 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do-able is August, really?

I NEVER go in August- way too hot for me.

But, if it is the only time you can go (I like Oct half term myself and you can go for 9 days) go the last week of Aug/first week Sept time. It will be slightly cheaper and a bit less crowded but still Very hot.

Get to parks Before opening, ride all the popular rides quickly with short or no lines, keep hydrated and leave early afternoon and spend the hottest time of day either in your pool or a waterpark then return for any evening festivities or to ride rides a second time.

Spend your downtime days in the pool, or in an A/C shopping center etc.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How do-able is August, really?

Great advice - thank you so much!

Redditch
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do-able is August, really?

We just got back from Orlando from Aug 10th - Aug 31st.

Yes it was hot when the sun was out but the humidity just wasnt as bad as I had built myself up for. The humidity over there is so different to ours and once you get used to it, its not that bad.

Our daughters (10&8) didnt compain once about being too hot and from the middle of Aug onwards the queues dropped dramatically. MK was (and always is) busy but the other parks were more than ok and the vast majority of lines were less than 30 mins. By the time we were coming away, big ride lines were 10mins max so if you can wait it out until the latter part of Aug, Id say you wouldnt be upset with the queue times.

Hope this helps

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,934 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do-able is August, really?

Well you are made of sterner stuff than me- the humidity is Way worse than the UK and I find it oppressive (and I am from there lol).

Also. don't forget that is Peak storm season with a higher chance of Tropical storm activity. So many book then, and are then horrified to find a hurricane is headed their way when it gets time to go.

Not that hurricanes usually bother Orlando, but you can get large amounts of rain, some winds and an increased chance of tornado activity.

Something to keep in mind when booking then, and one of several reasons it is a cheaper and less busy time (the fact that schools are back in many areas of the southern USA is another).

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do-able is August, really?

If you got the last 2 weeks in August, into September, the crowds make up for the heat (or lack of crowds I should say.) After about August 15, crowds really die down as local kids and kids in the Southern States head back to school.

The best way to do it is to get to the parks right when they open. Stay until about lunch, then head back to your villa (or have lunch in the parks, then head back.) Take a good break until about 4 or 5, then head back into the parks. The break in the middle of the day is going to really help. Take a nap, take a swim...whatever you do, just make sure you're cool and resting!

England
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do-able is August, really?

Hi, we did the last week of July first week of August this yr. like you this was the only time we could really go. We all absolutely loved it. We planned ahead a little, and used fast passes, there were crowds but we never waited for more than 20 mins for a ride at Disney. I don't do long lines! We got on everything. at universal we bought fast passes, which were expensive but worth it. In hindsight it's less expensive to book a night at a universal hotel and get the free passes with your room key. I thought dc and sea world were also fine, we saw all the shows and got on the rides easily. The waterparks however were very overcrowded and I could not wait to leave! But the kids and oh still liked them. We made adrs around a rough plan and only waited for a table once in RFC.

I would recommend that you go for it!! The atmosphere was great, the temps were bearable and I would not hesitate to go in August again, although you will save money if you go another time. Good luck happy planning.

Edited: 10 September 2012, 16:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do-able is August, really?

The end of August is a great time to go in my opinion. I went this year and never waited for more than 20 min for any ride. Yes you can't deny it's hot but you can always dive into a restaurant or shop for a blast of aircon if you are desperate.