We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

Last year in May, we went to the AK as part of our 3-day stay in WDW. Upon arrival, we noticed (as did others) a pungent and completely unpleasant animal smell in the parking lot. It only became worse as we entered the park. I was 6 wks. pregnant at the time, so I was more sensitive to it, but my husband & son also found it yucky. We went on one ride (the Kilimanjaro Safari) and then I had to leave--I just could not take it anymore. I went into Guest Services and they handled my complaint very appropriately. The GS rep scanned my ticket to see when we entered the park and compared it to the current time (to verify that we'd been there only a short time) and offered us all a free ( with no expiration date) ticket to any other WDW theme park. We accepted the ticket, left AK and headed over to MGM where we had a great day. What I am wondering is, IS THAT SMELL A PERMANENT PART OF THE AK THEME PARK? I was there in 1998 but don't recall the smell. I am returning to WDW in 10 days and was thinking about trying the AK again (my son would love it) but am not going to go if the smell is bad again. Would love to hear from anyone recently there and how the park smelled!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
545 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

jenjencc514,

The smell is part of the "game" in spite of what the staff makes to keep it under control. Animals tend to mark their areas and I guess you know what they do to achieve this. This is a daily process and that is what creates that "pungent smell". Besides, there is a large group of animals many of them confined to relatively small spaces. Sometimes the wind direction is a factor within this "game".

PELUCH

Florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

I've never noticed any unpleasant aroma at Animal Kingdom. I would by all means try again. It would be a shame to miss out on something your son would enjoy on a "maybe".

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,090 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

This must have been an "out of the ordinary" experience you had on that particular day. I've been to A.K. several times and I've never noticed the odor being "strong" except in isolated places, and even then it wasn't all that bad.

I took my best friend to Disney in Sept. 2004 for the first time. She has the most sensitive "nose for smell" I've ever encountered in a human, but even she wasn't bothered. Believe me, if she had been, she'd have voiced her complaint; she is not shy at all when it comes to complaining.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

We have been to the Animal Kingdom several times and have never noticed anything bad smelling. Even while I was pregnant I didn't notice anything that upset me. Maybe you were there during a time when they were doing cleaning and a lot of "stuff" was being moved around.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

or maybe something had died !

Poor animals locked up ....

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

or maybe one of the stinky bugs go out of 'Its a bugs life'

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

or maybe one of the stinky bugs go out of 'Its a bugs life'

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

Granted, I've only been to AK once, and will be returning in a few weeks, but we didn't notice any over the top odors there. However, I'm glad to hear that the Guest Services took such good care of you!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

I've never noticed a problem with odors at AK, but I do try to avoid the park when it's extremely hot or extremely windy, both of which could cause aromas to increase or travel. I've also never noticed a problem at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and we had a savannah view room. I've noticed more of an aroma around the petting zoo at Fort Wilderness than anything at AK.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
770 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Offensice Smell at Animal Kingdom?!?

Have you never been to a zoo? They stink! It's just the nature of the beast! (heh, pun)

In my opinion being pregnant probably caused the issue for you. When I was pregnant I couldn't even stand the smell of my husband!!!

My advice is to try again. But do expect some odors, it comes with the territory.