We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightmare with driving licence

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
nightmare with driving licence

My DH has been done for speeding and the letter has just arrived. Just gone to post fine off and licence has to go as well. We leave 3 weeks on Thursday and worried it won't be back and he's the main driver.

Anyone any experience of how quick they are or what happens if no licence.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nightmare with driving licence

Sorry don't know how quick they are but basically when you arrive in Florida no licence no car hire :(

London
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nightmare with driving licence

This happened to me just before I went ( just back)). I sent it off with a yellow post it note attached to the license saying I needed it back within 2 weeks as i may be hiring a car and gave the date of my hol. They returned it within a week - they just hand wrote the points on to the license as oppose to printing them on which I presume speeded things up.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 13:06
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,960 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nightmare with driving licence

I got mine back within a week but as USL says no licence no car

Any other drivers can step up to the plate Jo?

You are having a bit of a wobbly few days!

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nightmare with driving licence

Literally at post office, think I might hang on till tomorrow and ring them. Got a feeling they won't be quick.

I can drive but don't want to, might have to speak to virgin though and see who is down as named driver.

Thanks USL.

nottingham, england
Level Contributor
936 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nightmare with driving licence

The only recent experience we have had with the DVLA is when my DS passed his driving test back in Jan...and it did take about 2 weeks for his provisional to be changed to a 'proper' one and sent back.

Fingers crossed it will arrive back in time x

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nightmare with driving licence

Thanks Perkin and Susie. Bit more reassuring but for 1 day think I'll ring tomorrow as don't think it would go till tomorrow anyway.

You're right Susie having a nightmare!

London
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nightmare with driving licence

Even if you ring them, still put a note on, then you can be sure the person who opens the envelope is aware of the urgency. :)

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nightmare with driving licence

Asked at post office and will only get there Tuesday whether goes today or tomorrow so will hang on and ring.

Thanks for all help so quickly feel much better that it may come back in time.

Don't know anywhere else where you can get help so quickly.

london
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nightmare with driving licence

This happened to me before we went away last year , we phoned them and give the offence number and they tracked it down and hand wrote on licence , and we got it back, they was not that help full and round not say for sure it would get back plus we phoned about 4 times untill they was dick of us :)

10. Re: nightmare with driving licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 September 2012, 14:35