We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon

I'm planning a honeymoon and would love to go to disney world. I have been there at least 6 times but my fiancce has never been there and I have not been there in 9 years. I was wondering if anyone has gone before and what it was like from a couple standpoint. The last time I went I was 14. Any help would be great Thanks

missoula montan
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon

We just got back for DW. We went to Discovery Cove, at the end of our disney trip. While I was there I just kept thinking that it would be the perfect day for a honey moon. I would try to fit it into your budget for the trip. Stay at a very economic hotel the end of your trip if you need to fit this into your budget. It was super! We have been married now for 20 years. Good luck on your new adventure.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon

I heard once that WDW (generally, not necessarily on-site resorts) was the biggest American destination for honeymooners. Don't know if this was or is true, but a number of people come here for honeymoons. My wife and I did our honeymoon around there, but then again, we live here, and it was a matter of convenience.

It all depends on what you want out of a honeymoon. If you want lots of private time and to be lazy, well, you can do that in Orlando, but you could just as well do it (and even better, IMO) at a beach; if a beach in Florida nearby, you could take a day or two and drive over. Its not much different than asking any other person: what do you like to do on vacation. But a lot of it depends on your future husband; is he into Disney movies, or theme parks in general? If you like doing a lot of things, Orlando is definitely the place (there's more here then there was even 9 years ago); however, that can easily overwhelm other honeymoon "activities". A friend told me about a couple who honeymooned at Disney but the guy felt it would have been better if they had gone somewhere lazier. Another issue is if you stay at a hotel, do you want to be around kids and families or not, because they will be harder to avoid in Orlando, though if you spend some $$$ you may find hotels with not as many families.

Orlando has pretty much every class of hotel and restaurant, from cheap hotels and buffets to $50+ (and higher) places to eat and hotels like the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes and the deluxe Disney resorts.

As far as romance, Orlando is not what I consider an inherently romantic place to be, but there are a number of things to do which can be romantic, providing you have the $$$. A great romantic splurge (outside of restaurants) would be Discovery Cove, but with dolphin swim, it is about $270-$280 per person, and even at those prices, you have to book months in advance. The ultimate restaurant splurge would be Victoria and Albert's at Disney's Grand Floridian (base price is $95 a plate, final cost would be a bit higher) which has had nothing but the highest reviews on this site (there are plenty of other expensive restaurants that aren't that expensive). Or you could ride a hot air balloon or visit a spa (there are a number of spa's in the area). Watching "Wishes" fireworks at Magic Kingdom could be very romantic, especially (once again, if you have the $$) booking a cruise during the fireworks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon

You really have to deceide what you want in your honeymoon.

If you want a lot of together time, ejoying your "new" life together, and "other" things I suggest an all-inclusive resort.

Do you want to be pampered or lots of excitment.

Do you care about having tons of kids waiting in line complaining to their parents that it is taking tooo long.

I have known a lot of people who went to WDW for their honeymoon, and totally loved it.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon

Thanks for everyone's input

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon

Count my husband and I as two who absolutely LOVED going to Orlando for our honeymoon. So much in fact, that we're returning for our one year anniversary in May. Tip: Buy the MIckey and Minnie bridal ears... you'll get so much attention (and in all the right ways!!!)

Congrats on the Wedding!!!!

Pittsburg, KS
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon

My boyfriend proposed on our second day of our trip last year. The whole trip was so romantic. And, as already stated, it is the largest honeymoon destination in the United States.

That was my fourth trip and my fiance's first. He loved it and caught the magical spirit the second he stepped off the bus at the Magic Kingdom. It made it that much more special. Find things to do as just the two of you. Eat at the Boulangerie Patisserie in France, find an empty area to watch the fireworks (it is possible!), stay on property so you can come back to the hotel for a relaxing swim (helped us calm down when there were crowds), don't rush around, enjoy your time together in the happiest place on earth, and definitely wear the bridal ears! I didn't wear them because we were only newly engaged, but we were given a pin to wear that had a Mickey/Minnie wedding picture. A castmember wrote "Just Engaged" on it, and we got so many congratulations and special treatment. It was awesome! They even sent a balloon bouquet to our room as congratulations! Somehow the front desk found out!

We were just talking about our honeymoon today. We have it all planned and booked for Washington, DC, but he said he wants to change it to Disney World. I told him that we would be going during peak season, so he can wait a few years when we can go back in early May.

Good luck planning, fellow engaged traveler!

Carlisle...
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon

My fiance and I went last April and again in November. As a couple you can skip a lot of the "kiddie" rides, character greetings, and all that stuff that takes up a lot time for families. Enjoy nice dinners alone (I especially enjoyed dinner in Cinderella's Castle, but it's very expensive), and you can do whatever you want. We took advantage of fast passes and single riders (if that doesn't bother you) so we could maximize our time in the parks and get the most for our money, and then went back to our timeshare for the evening just to relax and watch TV. We had a great time, but we are both amusement park people. I've never been to Orlando to do anything but the parks, so if that's what you want to do plan ahead, buy tickets in advance, and have a great time!

Carlisle...
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon

My fiance and I went last April and again in November. As a couple you can skip a lot of the "kiddie" rides, character greetings, and all that stuff that takes up a lot time for families. Enjoy nice dinners alone (I especially enjoyed dinner in Cinderella's Castle, but it's very expensive), and you can do whatever you want. We took advantage of fast passes and single riders (if that doesn't bother you) so we could maximize our time in the parks and get the most for our money, and then went back to our timeshare for the evening just to relax and watch TV. We had a great time, but we are both amusement park people. I've never been to Orlando to do anything but the parks, so if that's what you want to do plan ahead, buy tickets in advance, and have a great time!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon

Irennie,

Honeymoon at disney sounds like fun. This is their website about honeymoons in Disney World:

disneyweddings.com/site/hon/start/index.jsp

Good Luck!

Pittsburg, KS
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon

I forgot to mention the other day that there is a book called Walt Disney World for Couples. I read the entire book before we went and loved it. You can get it off of Amazon for $2. It has great romantic ideas and a section on honeymooning in WDW.