We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

London, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

So, true to holiday tradition we have gone a little radio rental (mental, for all you yanks!) on the shopping front.

Does anyone know how strict virgin are on baggage weight? I was a little over on BA in March and they just stuck a 'Heavy' sticker on but there was no charge.

I think we both may be over, so not sure it'll be cheaper to invest in 1 extra luggage than pay overweight on both.

Otherwise does any one know where I may be able to buy weighing scales on IDrive? Without going to the like of Walmart?

We've tried the business center in our hotel to no avail.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

Hi according to their website the first extra bag is £32 booked on line or £40 at the airport. Overweight baggage is £30 at the airport for 23-32kg. Not sure how strict they are but few years ago when we flew with them few people were charged returning home for being overweight.

Not sure about luggage scales is their a dollar tree nearby or department store?

Cherry

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

There used to be a set of scales in the QII bar although on recent pics I've seen since the renovation they didn't appear to be there. maybe they've moved them into the lobby area. I've always used them to check my bags before leaving. ;-)

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,560 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

VA are strict pick up a set of travel scales from Walmart we always take ours with us

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

Yeah definately weigh before you pay .

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

Walgreens may sell them. They have plenty of locations on I-drive.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

We have never been charged and have been a good couple of kilos over , it depends on who you get ,[ always go to ddd to check in ].We have found when we get a lady they are more lenient but once we got a man and he was horrible and grumpy and made us take out 2kilos from one case and put in another .We do have have scales but always seem to be over just a little bit

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,451 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

Publix grocery stores typically have a large scale by the exit you could check with

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,158 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

As long as no one case exceeds 32kg, then Virgin are very reasonable on over-the-limit charges. They don't charge the extortionate per-kilo rates that "cheaper" airlines often do.

uk
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

just go to walmart and buy cheap bathroom scales - we did last yr $4 and we left them there!

VA arent too bad so long as you only have 32kg in each bag! If you are WAY over that on EACH bag, pay for the extra allowance online $32 and dump all the heavy things into one!

You can ask them to carry things like fishing rods, golf equip and pramsbikes FOC and you can carry something heavy on as hand luggage - the crew are obliged to find space or stow it in the hold FOC, I was a stewardess in another life!!

BUt still my best advice, get the cheap scales!

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overweight baggage on Virgin / Weighing scales on IDrive?

I've been looking for the maximum baggage on virgin but unable to find it, so is it 32kg max per bag? We have 4x23kg + a buggy but will not be taking 4 suitcases so normally our luggage would be over 23kg per bag but not exceeding our maximum altogether (if you understand what i mean!) is that ok with virgin?