We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better 2nd Time Around

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Better 2nd Time Around

WOW!!!! What a difference a year makes! :) And lack of planning and a 250lb hubby....lol!

My girls and I had a fantastic time! We loved AoA!!! We planned NOTHING, went with the flow of where the day took us and never made it back to our rooms for bed before 11:30 pm! Our favorite park was MNSSHP! We want to do it again next year, or perhaps wait and do MVMCP! :)

Of course the Disney is full of Princesses and Fairy Dust, but we still did not like the bus service, and we once again didn't get any pics on PhotoPass better than on our own camera, but those are minor things in the big picture.

I was also a bit surprised how much money we spend in 5 days on food, even spitting meals and 2 reusable mugs, but live and learn. Seems like the dining plan might be worth it!? Of at least have a delivery service bring some basics like cereal, milk, bread, etc.

However, overall we give this trip 5 Stars and will do another girls trip there in the future! We stayed at Art of Animation, attended MK, MNSSHP, Blizzard Beach and visited Downtown Disney so if you have any questions please let me know! :)

I also submitted my review of AoA with pics, so I'll let you know when it is posted!

Edited: 20 September 2012, 21:24
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
523 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

Your statements about the cost of food are interesting since many feel the DDP (if it does not come free with your trip) may not be the best value. I'll be seeing for myself in November!

Edited: 20 September 2012, 22:08
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,295 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

lol...did you tell hubby he's the problem!!

The dining plan is not cheap to purchase, we always spend less out of pocket than it would have cost. We bring breakfast stuff and snacks for by the pool from home. We always have a sit down dinner and still spend less than the dp.

Happy to hear this trip went well!!

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2852728

Here's a thread from disboards to read :)

Edited: 20 September 2012, 22:38
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

I got confused.....

i was thinking $35 per adult and $15 per child for meals a day beats the cost of paying full price, but then i realized that only covers 2 meals and a snack....so yeah i guess it might not cost less. We did eat 3 meals a day plus a snack or two at the park.

We only did QS meals, so we averaged $10-15 per entree (usually 2 per meal to split), $3-5 per dessert (usually 2 or 3 to split), and 1-2 snacks a day (2-3 to split). We bought 2 of the $16 mugs and split those every meal, and just bought a few 1/2 gallons of milk ($3) for the room for bedtime.

and yes my hubby is quite aware! :) Its just not his type of vaca, he says if he is going to use his vacation time he wants it to be on something relaxing like the beach or a cruise. He has a high stress job so the stress (walking, heat, walking, lol) of a Disney vaca doesnt appeal to him.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 23:04
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

I thoroughly enjoyed your reports :-)

Sounds like the perfect Queen & Princesses trip!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Happy planning for the next one,

AJ

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

So glad you enjoyed your 2 nd trip. I enjoyed reading your TRs,

:0)

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

Thanks it really was great and i am so happy we gave Disney another shot!

My review and pics are up now too. :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

I hate to cross message boards, but I know that you did not have a particularly great first trip to the Kentucky Horse Park this year, but that is another place you should try again, perhaps during Breyerfest. It is a lot closer (and cheaper) than WDW, and I have to say that the equestrian entertainment during this year's Breyerfest was top notch.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

Yes, we had a good time KY Horse Park, just expected too much i think.

As long as Breyerfest dates dont cross fair week for my daughter's 4h we plan to give Breyerfest a go! This year we missed Breyerfest because we had a cruise planned that week.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

KendallsMom makes an interesting statement that "we once again didn't get any pics on PhotoPass better than on our own camera." We have had that same kind of experience. Add in the fact that my wife is an avid photographer, and we find that it doesn't make sense for us to pay for PhotoPass pictures. Of course, my wife also took 1,100 pictures in 6 days, which makes it easy to find more than enough good ones...

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better 2nd Time Around

Usually the Photopass people will take pictures on guests' cameras too, so it is no surprise that the pictures are the same unless the guest's cameras are really bad. My wife and I have found that it almost never pays to buy the Photopass pictures, but it is still good to have them as a backup in case something we really want somehow blows up in our camera before we get the pictures developed.