We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lovebugs

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Lovebugs

Well, I didn't bring a hurricane with me to Florida this year, and I didn't even bring horrible tropical weather (only one day with more than an hour of heavy rain), but I guess I managed to bring the lovebugs. This was the fifth time I went to Orlando in September or October, and never before had I seen a lovebug in the parks. This year, everything was fine until Tuesday, but there was heavy rain then, and the lovebugs were everywhere at MK. The next day at DHS, there was a heavy 45 minute rain in the afternoon, and another swarm of lovebugs. I asked one of the park employees about it, and she said she had gone swimming a day or two earlier, and they were everywhere by the pool. In any event, don't be surprised if you encounter them if you are visiting soon.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lovebugs

They should all be gone by the time October rolls in. Usually they appear in the months of May and September. And actually here in the Tampa area there were hardly any ... at least where I am there weren't any to talk about.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lovebugs

I drove up to Orlando and back on Thursday. There were love bugs, but not in any abundance.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lovebugs

We were in Orlando one year in November and were plagued by lovebugs!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lovebugs

Hope they do fly off by October.. Hate it when they're everywhere. I must have been lucky in May...don't remember seeing any then! :0)

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lovebugs

Kookarbuuakid, I remember we where in Key West one May and although there weren't any lovebugs there, you could tell the cards that had driven down as they were covered in them.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lovebugs

Hi, please excuse my ignorance but what are lovebugs? I've seen them mentioned a few times on here. I've been three times in May/June and once in August/Sept and never seen anything strange. I'm curious.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lovebugs

Love bugs hook together (end to end) and swarm. They are a medium size bug, I don't believe they bite. When you drive, you hit them with the windshield and front bumpers get covered in dead ones. They are a big nuisance.

I just found 2 in the bathtub. Our bumper is covered in them, we drove from Tampa north about 80 miles.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lovebugs

When they are out it is a mating ritual and they don't care who sees them doing it as they fly about. And when they get squashed on the car's paintwork, the acid from the smashed bodies can etch the paint.

England
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lovebugs

jakghaffe69 here is more info on the lovebug

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lovebugs

We were there this week and only saw lovebugs at Epcot -- weirdly none at the other parks. They were swarming the entrance but weren't terrible all the way inside.