We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over the counter meds

Preston
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Over the counter meds

Hi, I am travelling to Orlando in 12 days :-) and I was planning on going to boots and buying something to help me sleep on the flight, would it be an issue carrying them on me through security etc? Because they wouldn't have my name on them or anything?

Thanks

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over the counter meds

As long as they are "over the counter" you will be fine. We always take ibuprofen/paracetemol/anadin tablets etc in our hand luggage. As far as I am aware, is only prescription meds that need to have your name on.

derby
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over the counter meds

If your buying over the counter then you should have no problems but it will probably be a herbal/natural product and as a regular night worker, who works for the company you mentioned shopping at I have found no benefit in over the counter sleep meds wherever I've bought them from.

I don't think having a sleep on the way out will help your body clock adjust to Florida time if that's what your trying to do,all I do is make sure I get a good nights sleep before I fly,I know easier said than done with all the excitement,once on the plane I set my watch 5 hours ahead,if your trying to avoid jet lag then some people find melatonin useful it's available in Walgreens and all good pharmacies in US as it's classed as a food supplement but over you need a prescription,check it out online as there are precautions if your on other meds.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 10:43
Preston
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Over the counter meds

Thank you for your advice, the reason I would want to sleep on the flight is so I get there quicker!! Haha I don't mind the jet lag etc :-)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over the counter meds

am i right in thinking that any products containing codeine are prohibited? like co codamol etc? thats the only over the counter med that kills my pains but he ho never mind if i cant take them into orlando! xx

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,984 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over the counter meds

"am i right in thinking that any products containing codeine are prohibited"

Not necessarily. just make sure you have the original container with your name on it. If you want to be super careful, carry a copy of the prescription with you.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Over the counter meds

so i wouldnt be able to take a pack of pharmacy bought co codamol with me?... no name on it? x

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,564 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Over the counter meds

You can bring narcotics such as codeine into the US as long as the medication is in the bottle that you got at the drugstore with your name matching completely-it doesn't hurt to bring a copy of the presription. As far as OTC sleep aids go,melatonin never worked for any of us and we didn't like to be doped on on allergy pills when we were traveling with kids that might need us. Now that they are older,we still just readjust the best we can and suffer through the first day

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Over the counter meds

I believe in the UK, they can get codeine over the counter, so the bottle wouldn't have their name on it, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,564 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Over the counter meds

You cannot bring a controlled substance like codeine into the US without a prescription-a nice trip to jail will be waiting

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Over the counter meds

You are correct Princess41 :-)

The lower strength version of 8/500 is available without script.

Diana