We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa let down

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Visa let down

Well after all the information and advice from this site ,my husband filled in all the forms and got an appointment for his visa and We went to London to get a visa ,to take the kids to Disney land for my mum and dads 50 .he had a nightmare of a time ..he ad to go to the chemist up road several times ,for bits of paperwork ,he didn't fill in higher education ( everyone was getting nailed for it ) on his paperwork ,he didn't go to university ..then he had to go back cos his photo was more than 6 months old ...I thought he wouldn't have a problem and we could book this week as we are going in April.to cut a very long story short it as to now go to Washington to homeland security,to be approved,because of an arrest over 17 years ago for possession of cannibis ,(stupid boy )he as never been in any trouble since .and in his own country his time is spent,but because its drug related it has to go to Washington and this could take 18 +weeks .we are absolutely gutted and ave the family all waiting for his visa to come back ,I feel like scrapping the whole America trip but my boys would be devastated.so now we ave to play the long waiting game ..

Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa let down

I always find it strange that such an old conviction can have such an effect now. What is even stranger is that many people with drug convictions are allowed in without any problems...because they are celebrities. It does not seem to matter what they were arrested for..they can still go and work there if they are famous. It is not what you know but who you know.

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
427 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa let down

That is harsh - 18 weeks is a long wait and will take you right up to only a few weeks before you are set to go - guess that means that you cant book your holiday until the decision is made just incase his access is denied?

Lots of people have done silly things in their past but to still be being punished for something done 17 years ago is harsh if it was just for personal use - dealing would be a different story though....

Hope you get a resolution soon and can get your trip booked - fingers crossed for you all.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa let down

How disappointing for you all. Fingers crossed it will all work put for the best though so you can look back and laugh. At least you are onto it early enough though.

A friend of mine here in Oz took her kiddies last Nov and her husband had an old conviction similar to your husbands and his visa didn't come through in time!!! They were gutted and mum and the kiddies had to head off without dad!!! So if anything, it's good you're onto it now and then you can book with peace of mind when you get the all clear :-)

All the best,

AJ

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa let down

We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you and your family :)

A x

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa let down

Hope it all gets sorted.

ajg

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa let down

Does sound a tad harsh. Glad you have had the sense not to book before the visa is approved, so many don't and then come on here moaning.

Fingers crossed for you all :)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa let down

Thanks for your replays,oh yes it made him feel a real criminal,it has never stopped any thing before ie jobs travel etc and I'm so mad and feel so let down ,that we're wanting to visit and pay money into there country ,I could understand if he ad several drug related convictions or been in and out of prison,i just wished they was that strict in this country..we will ave to keep our fingers x .

Bognor Regis, UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa let down

Hiya. I don't wish to upset you at all but my husband applied end of march for his visa and we are still waiting to hear 26 weeks later. We were supposed to be going on holiday 10th sept but had to cancel that. He has had a visa before so we are not sure what is taking so long.

Will keep fingers crossed for you

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa let down

Oh no how awful for you @pompeybird1 ,oh it makes me so mad ,it's already cost us around 400£ in visa fees train ,hotel in London ect..is there any way you can ask what the hold up is .it certainly takes the shine out of Disney for us ,I'll keep my fingers x for you that you can rebook soon x

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa let down

Hi Linz,

Fingers crossed for you. Not to rub salt in the wounds but we got our visas and the embassy visit was simple and relatively painless.

Really hope it comes through quickly for you so you can experience the magic of Orlando. It's been 15 or so years since I was last there and now I can't wait to get back next June.