We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
55 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

And I don't know who is more excited...

It's ages away, we go August 2013 but I can't stop looking, at we'll everything.

So I am coming to where the knowledge is at.

We are going for two weeks; we have 14 days unlimited Disney parks and a two park for universal (not quite sure what this means). We are staying at coco keys, and will have a car on hire.

What do we do? Where do we start? Do I book discovery cove? Do I get sea world tickets? Am I going to be able to fit everything in? Do I create an intinerary or do I just go with the flow?

Another thing, do hire cars come with satnav?

And the final point - my 6 year old daughter who will be 7 by the time we go, is very tall. She is currently 128cm ..

Will she be tall enough for the rides?

Sorry - I am so excited. Can it be August now?

World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

Parks go by inches not cm, but at 50" she'll be able to do everything at Disney. There are roller coasters at Islands of Adventure, SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens that will require 54", but may not have interest in those anyway at just 7.

Discovery Cove is a nice experience, pricey, but most will say worth it. SeaWorld/Aquaitca tickets would be included. I think rest days are important. It's a lot being in the park all day especially in the August heat. I would plan your days. Complete going with the flow is not the greatest if you want to make the most of it. Overplanning is also dangerous. But a rough itinerary of which parks on which days, when the time comes based on the park hours, etc. is a good idea in my opinion.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

I can feel your exitement. It's wonderful to be a newbie!

The mistake most first timers make is that they try to do everything and often do not get the best value from the tickets they have bought. Disney has four main theme parks and two water parks which you can visit as often as you like during your 14 day holiday with your Ultimate ticket. Universal have two parks, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Again you can visit these parks as much as you like with your 14 day unlimited ticket. What you will need to remember, especially with a seven year old, is that you will need some rest days (and probably some shopping time).

If you did decide to book Discovery Cove then you get Seaworld and Aquatica included with the ticket.

I would recommend 'The Brits Guide to Orlando' as a good help towards planning. Going in August it will be quite busy so I would suggest some kind of itinery. You have plenty of time so keep popping on here to get your questions answered and get any help you need.

I hope you realise that you will probably join the rest of as Floridaholics!

Regards,

Deaconblue

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

Hi

We also travel in August.

It is busy and to get the most out of a first visit you will need a outline of an itinerary.

I would also recommend "Brits guide to Orlando" it will give you a good overview of all the parks and attractions.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

I have recently returned from Orlando i did not stay on the Disney side nor did i go to Disney i did the other parks, sea world has a dolphin cove inside it where you can feed the dolphins which i loved, all you pay for is the dolphin feed but i remember it being less than $10 per feed, i stayed in there for a few hours, also the shows in the park are out of this world.

2 park universal, is universal studios and islands of adventure, they are both in universal studios and you can go from 1 park to the other all day ( harry potter and jurassic park etc: are in islands of adventure/// shrek and minions etc: are in universal). the parks are separated by the hard rock cafe

i took a lot of clothes in September really wish i hadn't i lived in shorts and vests all holiday it is really hot and humid day and night, i didn't shiver once. check out these websites.

http://www.universalorlando.com/

http://www.seaworldparks.co.uk/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

Oh and comfortable shoes i cannot emphasize this enough, my feet blistered from all the walking and also from standing in the queues i was in agony at the end of some of the days, they burned and take a hand towel for your feet when you go to any water parks, when you get out of the water dry your feet again i walked round in wet sandals and my feet blistered and got very sore.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

Morning Chelle.

Before you read any more you will book again & again we all do.

You will get the Florida BUG (but that's not a bad thing) !!!!!!

No matter what age you are "EVERYBODY" yep even you when in Florida becomes "10" well I do and I'm 55 next year :-(.

Welcome to TA. don't be frightened to ask any question, as the answer will appear on hear on the TA forum for you.

Have a look at the links below. Some are walk through's of parks others are driving links.

Enjoy

Busch Gardens walk through

www.youtube.com/watch…

Universal walk through

www.youtube.com/watch…

Sea World walk through

www.youtube.com/watch…

Aero Smith Roller Coaster HS

www.youtube.com/watch… ated

MK walk through

/watch?v=4WG8vkGSCuQ=fi5GTMo6fYo&feature=rel

Driving Down International Drive

www.youtube.com/watch?vwww.youtube.com

uscarhire.com/florida-trips/driving_tips.aspx

myflorida.org.uk/htm_pages/my_florida_useful…

www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/driving.htm

…about.com/od/…fla_driving.htm

floridarentavilla.co.uk/infopages/florida_ca…

Driving down HWY 192 Kissimmee

www.youtube.com/watch…

You will want t ogo eve nmore after watching these.

187 sleeps for us before we go in April 2013

ajg

Edited: 12 October 2012, 11:50
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

We traveled with a 6 y.o. when we went. I'd allow two days for the Magic Kingdom and Epcot because they're so huge and one day each for Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. You will also want to go to Sea World. We did not try the Universal Parks, so I can't vouch for those.

After every 2-3 days of touring, I'd plan a day where you do something low-key and relax, or you will burn out and no one will be happy. Disney is very high-energy and intense and it takes a lot out of you. Go to the beach, do a character meal, play miniature golf, visit the space center or some other low-key activity.

Go with a plan of action. Arrive at the parks when they open to beat the worst of the crowds, tour until noon, head back to your hotel/villa for lunch and a 3 hour break. Use this time to nap, rest, watch T.V., etc. The parks are the hottest and most crowded mid-afternoon. Around 4:00, start heading back to the parks for supper and to catch thing such as the fireworks and parades.

The days following late nights spend watching fireworks and parades are good choices for "break" days.

Sea World involves a lot of sitting for shows, so this is a good choice for the end of your vacation when you're more tired. Bring something for your daughter to do while you wait for shows to start. I don't see a reason for getting Sea World tickets in advance unless you find a special deal. Make your Disney character meal reservations 180 days out.

August will be extremely hot. If you can find any, we really like those water bottle carriers with a strap that goes around your neck. The kids can carry their own water and they're not always complaining about being thirsty. We never go on a vacation without them.

Get lots of quarters and dollar bills for toll roads and use the toll roads. The traffic is lighter.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,373 Reviews
Orlando, FL
8. Re: First Florida Trip.... With 6 YO...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 19:19