We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

Porter, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

With the special offers now available for January, we decided to make the switch from AoA LMM room, to a Royal Guest room at POR. My only concern at this point is the transportation (to the parks & to other resorts). We will have our own vehicle. Would it be better/faster to drive to the parks & other resorts, or is it too much hassle to find a parking space etc...Or should we use some combination of the two, such as using our own vehicle to go to the parks & Disney transportation to go to the other resorts. A side note...my 8 year old son is on the Autism spectrum, and doesn't do well waiting in long lines. So waiting more than 15-20 minutes for a bus would upset him. We plan to use a Guest Assistance Card once we are in the parks, but to my knowledge, that doesn't help with getting him on a bus more quickly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

We use the buses and never have to wait more than about 10 or 15 minutes, usually it's less. A guest assistance card won't help getting on the buses any quicker, you can't get on a bus that isn't there you just have to wait for one. If you intend to be at the parks until closing I would drive and the buses are crazy at kicking out time, huge queues. they move quickly but it might not be the best experience for your son.

Getting to other resorts for meals, if you don't intend having an alcoholic drink then I would drive as there are no direct buses from resort to resort and you would have to transfer at either DTD or a park, this can be very time consuming. If you are going to drive to another resort you are allowed up to 3 hours parking, be sure to carry some form of photo ID to show the security man at the gate.

Porter, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

Ok, that makes sense. The only time we will be at the park until closing is when we stay long enough to see Wishes at MK. Maybe we'll plan to drive that day.

I've read stories about people waiting around 45 min to get on a bus at their resort, so I was worried this would happen to us.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

The bus things seems to be hit and miss. We had friends who went in early Nov. and never waited more than ten minutes. We had other friends who went the end of January and waited an hour. You'll have people tell you they've never waited very long, but apparently it does happen sometimes and I have no ulterior motivation in telling you that long waits do happen to some people. We drove a car and don't regret it.

As a side note, if your son doesn't do well waiting in long lines, be sure to arrive at rope drop and get your touring in early and have a good touring plan that tells you how to avoid lines at rides. Eat your meals early (11:30 for lunch, 5:30 for supper) to avoid waiting in restaurant lines.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,701 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

We pretty much always drive to the parks-the AKL has reasonably good bus transportation so sometimes we use it there but otherwise,we find Disney transportation to be slow,crowded and inefficient.. The monorail and boats can be fun but from POR,its all buses and a waste of time in our experience-and we have been to Disney over 135 times.Especially at the end of the day,it is great to have your car there.It is very easy to find a parking space and if you get to the park early,there are plenty of close up spots.If we are going to eat dinner at Epcot,we sometimes park there and take the monorail between that park and the MK . We have never regretted having our own car with us.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

Yeah I've only been a few times (approx 40) so my experience of the Disney buses is probably not so good. I don't know what "ulterior motive" people would have to tell of their experiences. I'm sure long waits can happen but thankfully I can't recall it ever happening to us, apart from at kicking out time that I mentioned.

We do both. sometimes we drive if we're only staying a while and going offsite after but most other times we get the bus.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 22:33
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

When our kids were little we drove to all of the parks except for the Magic Kingdom. The need to take a monorail or ferry from the parking to reach the park gates pretty much negates any advantages you get by driving there. If you arrive early you can walk to the gates of Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom from the car.

One thing-the buses can get very crowded, especially at park closing. One of our kids didn't do well in those situations. No autism, just cranky and tantrum prone at the end of a long day, but it was miserable for EVERYONE on the bus when she lost it so we tried to avoid them as mich as possible. If your son isn't comfortable with extremely close contact with strangers it's something to consider.

Porter, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

Thanks everyone for your help! It's always nice to hear everyone's perspective! ;)

We plan to arrive at the parks early. My 8 yr old is a very early riser anyway...so that would be perfect for him!

The boat at POR goes to DTD, correct? I think that would be fun for the kids too...how often does the boat make the trip? Would we have to wait very long for this? If there are specific times that it makes the trip, we could plan accordingly & perhaps not have to wait very long.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,426 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

We stay on property specifically so we can never have to use our car when we are on property. We have never waited 45 minutes for a bus ever, maybe 10-15 minutes if that,

We love using the boats as well. It is part of the magic and charm.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

The boats from PO to DTD run approx every 20 minutes. I don't think there are set times for the boats.

pa
Level Contributor
54,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Use Disney transportation or your own vehicle?

We never have a car, no need to

We are here right now and have been so many times I have lost count. We stay at Disney Reaorts because once we are here, we can leave the rest of the World behind, that includes cars and traffic and highways and byways and parking lots, we always get where we need and want to go ( point being, we have lots of Experience )

Disney World Property is 47 square miles, it is going to take a bit of time to go anywhere and everywhere. Try and relax, being in a hurry or trying to get somewhere Fast, really isn't going to happen, no matter what mode of transport you are going to use :)