We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

london
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

I'm traveling to Orlando next Thursday and talking my nephew who is 13 with us he has a different surname as us ,so i know we will get asked questions at passport control, I want to take a letter from his parents to say we have permission to take him but not sure what to actually get them to write???

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

There was another post on here recently where grandparents got the third degree because they had grandchildren with them, without their parents. The post attracted a lot of interest but I am afraid I can't locate it at the moment.

I would suggest getting a letter of consent from the parents for you to take your nephew to Florida and for you to be able to give permission for any health treatment needed while you are there. I would also suggest getting this stamped by a commissioner for oaths (costs around £5). One of the parents would have to be with you when you got it done. This would make it a legal document and the authorities should not then have any problem with your nephew travelling with you. In these days of child abduction you can understand why they are so careful.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

Just found this thread which may/may not help!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k578490…

Regards,

Deaconblue

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

Yes, I completely agree with Deaconblue! You need legal documentation for immigration and just in case you need to seek medical treatment for your nephew.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

Yes, And maybe more important than above, you need legal standing via the letter- must be mentioned) to allow you to be his emergency medical contact w/authority to authorize treatment. Plus you may need seperate travel insurance as he isn't immediate family- check with your provider.

If the parents are not married incl never or divorced, you need both parents to sign or a seperate letter from the other parent.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

As you are travelling with a minor with a different surname then you could possibly experience some difficulties without some notice of consent to travel from the child's parents.

As others have mentioned these can be stamped and formally legalised at most solicitor's offices for a nominal charge.

It is most important that you also have written legal consent to make medical decisions if the need should arise.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I used to travel (including internationally) with my daughter's dance team and we always had both of these documents for each child. We had them notarized by an attorney friend.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

Deaconblue bumped the recent post which contains a link on the matter including what info should be included.

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

hi

i am traveling with a friend and his son 7year old next novemeber

does it matter or will it be an issue that the son and the father do not have the same second name?

also the mother does not have the same second name to her son either as the son was given her madien name

would this look dodgey?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

If you travel with a copy of the Birth certificate (with the names as on the passports) to prove he is the father than that should be enough.

The above advice is for those who are travelling with those who aren't their biological children so is different.

and as a side note, if the child is still young it is a pity he doesn't share the same surname as at least one of his parents (although I understand her reasons for doing so at the time). It could be damaging to his sense of self and his place in the world. If the mother has married, and the father has contact it might be a good idea to change his surname legally. If I were the mother, I would have retained my maiden name after marriage so as to keep the same last name as my son.

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with nephew do u need letter from his parents

hun i dont see how it would be damaging at all

im from ireland and 60% of the kids in his class has different surnames than there parents

its a new age, i found it weird at first, but the more people i meet the more it seems to be the norm