We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On site or off site????

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
On site or off site????

Alright experts, I need your opinions and advice.

We are currently booked to go to Disney World in January, staying at Port Orleans Riverside with Plus Dining. We have 4 children that range from 8 years down to 4 months (7 months on the trip).

I'm also looking at Bahamas Bay Resort in Davenport. We could stay in a 3 bedroom Abacos villa for $600 less, although we give up dining and so would probably spend most of the savings on food.

So tell me: would you stay on-site in a single room with the dining, or off-site in a suite with no dining? Help!

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On site or off site????

Hi,

Don't quote me.but I'm not sure you can have 6 people in one room at POR. I thought 5 was the limit for a single room. Maybe the infant doesn't count?

(that looks bad,in print,doesn't it) ?

I must say that I would opt off site,with a family that large. Nobody loves a Diz resort more than me,but the $600 you save,can be used for food.

I'm assuming you're driving from Charlotte?

There's so much magic in the parks,that's it's really not necessary to stay on site to feel it. I do feel you might have a much more relaxing time in your own villa.

Edited: 19 October 2012, 19:08
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On site or off site????

Hi Moose54--I thought the limit was 5, too, so it must be that the baby doesn't count yet. I guess I'm imagining all of us coming back from the parks, getting everyone to sleep, and then just hanging out in the dark... listening to snoring children. O_o

But at the same time, my husband is...well...cheap. If we don't stay on site and get the dining deal, you'd better believe it'll be PB&J sandwiches and granola bars all week long.

--Becca

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On site or off site????

There are a lot of pros and cons to staying on site or off site at Disney. For us, there are two advantages that always tip the scales to staying on site. First, we don't have to worry about a car or transportation costs. We fly into Orlando, and Disney takes care of the rest of the transportation for us. Not having to rent a car or pay for parking is a major expense that we save. Second, we love being able to use Extra Magic Hours. Even during Christmas week, when the crowds are massive, you can still ride everything in the park during evening EMH. I acknowledge that we could save some money or be in bigger rooms off site, but the advantages to being on site clearly outweigh the disadvantages.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,056 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On site or off site????

You are going at a slow time so lines shouldn't be a factor. I can't even imagine staying in one room with 4 children. They are pretty small rooms even for 2. I would defnitely encourage staying off site-more space,kitchen facilities,more bathrooms,a comfortable vacation. does it have to be Davenport?There are so many villas closer to Disney where you would have a private pool and more convenience. Or there's suite hotels like Staybridge Suites and Residence Inn where you would have plenty of room.We prefer being able to make around half our meals at our hotel rather than eating in restaurants every day-many advantages to staying offsite. I would also look at Disney Villas which can offer surprising deals sometimes-we stay at Old Key West sometimes and like it very much and the rates are often quite low. But 6 people in one room?No way

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,014 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: On site or off site????

It's 5 plus an "infant" (meaning a child under three) so you'd be legal, if a bit crowded in one of the Port Orleans Riverside rooms.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,860 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On site or off site????

With 4 kids, definitely off site in a bigger place. You can eat breakfast in, bring lunch with you (or eat in if you take a break during the day for the kids to nap). And have dinners out or bring back some take out food (kids can get tired and cranky, adults too! after a day in the parks), so you can relax :)

edmonton, canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On site or off site????

We've stayed at POR and I can't imagine 6 people in one room. I'd stay off site.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
56 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On site or off site????

Wow--at least there's no question. Off-site it is. (Old Key West still raised our price about $1000. Bummer.) And no--it doesn't have to be Davenport. We're just looking at less expensive options. I would LOVE any recommendations for condos/suites closer to Disney!!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,056 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On site or off site????

Floridays is very popular;we like Marriott Harbour Lakes,Residence Inn LBV,Staybridge suites LBV,Homewood suites LBV,even doubletree DTD which might be a little crowded with 6 is very nice.Springhill suites in the Marriott Village is good too

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On site or off site????

OK, I am very curious about something. This question is for you, disneyfaninnyc.

How on earth do you find the time to eat half your meals at the hotel? It would involve prep and cleaning and maybe cooking. Even breakfast takes some time if it is ready to eat. Not to mention travel back and forth, and shopping beforehand.

When we go to Disney, we barely have time to do all we want to do each day. We try to get out very early to beat the crowds and it seems every day is packed. I can't imagine going back and forth to the hotel to eat in the midst of it all.

How do you make that work? Maybe you just go for longer time periods than we do and spread out what you do