We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

Hi,

Might sound a silly question but have never flown with Virgin before and am just wondering what s available in flight . What type of meals they generally serve etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

A curry sometimes and sausage and mash and a pasta dish

They give you a menu but for the life of me I don't see the point , if you sit anywhere from the middle back you get what's left over

You also get a snack which is usually a sandwich and an ice cream

On night flights you get some sort of bagel or muffin for brekkie

In other words typical plane food

Nothing to get excited about - take a sandwich with you if you don't want to go hungry

As many drinks as you want just go to the galley after the drinks service finishes and help yourself

Edited: 25 October 2012, 15:27
Seahouses, United...
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

Virgin food is ok. I never bother taking food on board as the airline food is adequate , though not if you are expecting cordon bleu! lol

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

I'm rolling around laughing here at the idea of the leftovers if you sit anywhere near middle to back .... thanks so much for that..defo be bringing my own snacks now haha ....hope their in flight entertainment's ok as I'll have 2 teenagers with me too:(

Thanks for your reply :0

england
Level Contributor
183 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

hi we have flown with virgin alantic a few times going to orlando florida and the inflight movies are very good the meal choice is beef chicken if you cant eat that then make sure you book a vegetarian meal if you cant eat the meat because one time when me and my mum and dad where sitting in the middle and me they do run out of certain food and a nice lady said to my dad all the meal choice which was left it was beef and my dad cant eat red meat so we had to ask the supervisor on the 9 hour flight if my dad could have somethink else to eat and they did they gave him a jacket potato and cheese it took quite a while for the jacket to come to my dad. depending what flight you get you may get games on the flight to play. near landing you will get a ice cream in florida and make sure you book flight seats.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

Oh susie how can you slate such gastronomical delights, especially the return journey's offerings, that rock they serve with your meal is so delightful, well it maybe was when it was made. Its that old and stale there isn't a use-by date, produced before that system was invented I believe, lol

VA food used to be good but its certainly gone down hill over the last few months.

As susie says, take a sandwich

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

It's true honestly we always sit at the back and get the leftovers

I say "I'll have the chicken please" and she says

"sorry we only have broccoli pasta left" lol

The IFE is excellent on the A330 and the refurb 747s

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

We flew with them last year for the 1st time and I didn't really like going to the galley asking for drinks as they were quite busy chatting and I felt as though I were in the way and they were doing me a favour. :(

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

I'm not a huge fan of airline food, but it's an industry-wide thing. Usually when we've flown with VA, they usually have either a chicken or fish dish, a beef cobbler, stew, or curry, and a pasta dish. The menus that are distributed beforehand wouldn't look entirely out of place in a michelin-starred restaurant. Everyone's tastes differ, so difficult to say whether you'll like it or not.

There's usually a couple of drink services, but most people just help themselves from the galley.

If you're travelling on either the Airbus A330, or refurbished 747, then you'll have the latest I.F.E, which is basically a huge selection of movies, and programmes from various genres, together with pause/rewind etc.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

What do you mean help themselves from the galley ? Do you ask or help yourself then ?

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer flying Virgin Atlantic

Oh i forgot about that bagel thingymajig we had for breakfast. OMG, gross! We bought some Krispy Kreme doughnuts from MCO before we boarded. It was worth it to see the looks on the faces of the neighbouring seats lol!!