We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the airport on Black Friday

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to the airport on Black Friday

We will be flying home on Black Friday, November 23rd from Orlando International Airport.

I have heard dreadful tales of the roads being extremely busy on this particular day, and there being many traffic jams.

Our flight leaves at 18.30 and we will hopefully have completed on line check in and dropped our bags off at the Virgin bag drop at DTD.

Can anyone suggest the best route from DTD to the airport? What time would you suggest we leave, bearing in mind I haven't driven to MCO before and don't know my way around?

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Edited: 29 October 2012, 17:32
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,410 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

One year we were on the road driving back from St Augustine to Orlando on Black Friday. We had no problems at all until we thought it might be a good idea to do a bit of shopping (had no idea what Black Friday was!!!) and tried to get off the I4 to go to the Mall at Millenia. We got 3/4 of the way up the slip road then realised we weren't going to get a lot further as all the traffic was also trying to get into the mall!!!

We finally managed to get back onto the I4 and there were no problems at all with the traffic.

We always go to the airport on the I4 and the Beachline (528) but not sure if this is the best way? I'm sure others will be able to tell you what is.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
The Mall at Millenia
The Mall at Millenia
2,077 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

If you are leaving at 18.30, you'll have no problems whatsoever. The shoppers will all be home and probably asleep. In fact, most shoppers are early birds and quit before noon.

Take SR 417 or I-4 & SR 528 to the airport. Be sure to have cash (including quarters) handy and stay to the right lane to pay. Use this map too: https:/…ExpressMap2009.pdf

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

Vic, our flight leaves at 18.30 and I have to return a car before we go to departures. I was thinking of leaving DTD around 15.30.

Will this give us enough time taking account of traffic at that time of day?

How long does it actually take to get to the airport?

Regards,

Deaconblue

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

"Will this give us enough time taking account of traffic at that time of day?"

You'll have little traffic on the toll roads. That's one advantage of taking them

"How long does it actually take to get to the airport?"

Just a wild guess. Maybe ½ hour.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

That's great info. Thanks.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

Can I just ask where the nearest junction for the 417 is in relation to Downtown Disney?

Sorry for all the questions. I have been on the 417 often enough, but always approached it from the 192 and stayed on it until Sanford. It is somewhat strange to be going to another airport!

Regards,

Deaconblue

Mentioned in this post
Sanford
Sanford
Central Florida, FL
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

"Can I just ask where the nearest junction for the 417 is in relation to Downtown Disney?"

Sorry, that's not a route I normally travel. I live north of the airport. I am sure someone else can chime in. You hotel can also tell you how to get on. It should be quite easy.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

From DTD take North Buena Vista Dr which you'll turn right onto from DTD, Go under the overpass of Epcot Center Drive (heading toward I-4). Stay on that road/536 and you'll have access to 417. There's good signage to MCO.

Mentioned in this post
Buena Vista Suites
Buena Vista Suites
1,162 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,672 Reviews
Orlando, FL
devon
Level Contributor
327 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

umm.. sorry to show my ignorance... but what IS Black Friday????

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to the airport on Black Friday

Kazzie -

From Wikipedia..

Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, traditionally the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. On this day, most major retailers open extremely early, often at 4 am, or earlier, and offer promotional sales to kick off the shopping season, similar to Boxing Day sales in many Commonwealth Nations.

Black Friday is not actually a holiday, but some non-retail employers give their employees the day off, increasing the number of potential shoppers. It has routinely been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005,[1] although news reports, which at that time were inaccurate,[2] have described it as the busiest shopping day of the year for a much longer period of time.[3]

For many years, it was common for retailers to open at 6:00 am, but in the late 2000s many had crept to 5:00 or even 4:00. This was taken to a new extreme in 2011, when several retailers (including Target, Kohls, Macy's, Best Buy, and Bealls[7]) opened at midnight for the first time.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America