We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA when do you apply?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
ESTA when do you apply?

Having never been outside Europe not sure when we should apply for thes or if I need to do anything else so any advice appreciated. We are booked for Sept 2013 so when would you apply?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
170 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

Hi

I go in June 2013 - I will apply around about Jan/Feb - it lasts for 2 years.

Hope this helps and happy holidays :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

If there is the remotest possibility that you could be refused an ESTA apply asap. Some people have reported on here about being refused an ESTA and having to apply for a Visa which takes time. One reported that they had to travel without their DH as his Visa didn't arrive in time for him to travel with his family.

Also if you haven't got you travel insurance yet get that now. If for any reason you had to cancel and don't have travel insurance in place you would probably lose your money.

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
781 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

I agree with Uslovers, if you were to get refused for whatever reason or anything went wrong in the application then you need plenty of time to appeal or sort it out. I would get on and get it done if it were me :-)

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

There is a slim chance of a problem or refusal. I stress - it IS slim (unless you have any dark secrets!).

However, if so, your only choices are to cancel or apply for a Visa (which in itself isn't guaranteed). Visas take months to obtain. With no ESTA and no Visa, you don't go. Therefore it makes a huge amount of sense to get your permission in place, ideally BEFORE you part with any non-refundable money. And if it's too late for that, then, before you part with any more. Lack of a Visa or ESTA is not valid grounds for an insurance claim, so you are at risk of all non-refundable expenditure.

So - do it right away. There is nothing to be gained (except an utterly trivial amount of cash value) by delaying.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

Well said Scan and USL, couldn't agree more. Not worth the risk :-)

Edited: 01 November 2012, 17:38
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

I am travelling in June for the first time and have applied for ours last month just in case anything went wrong thank god nothing did

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

Thanks for all your replies thankfully no dark secrets here so keep my fingers crossed there are no problems. Will apply for it now rather than wait.

Thanks for all your advice

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

i would do it a few months before as well , i did mine feb 2012 and go again aug 2013 i know it lasts 2 years but do i go on the website & click retrive application & change the dates of departure and adress details while in us?

London
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

I applied a month before I go, hopefully, if there was a problem would have given me enough time to sort it out....there was no reason there should be an issue though!

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
427 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ESTA when do you apply?

We applied for out ESTA'S as soon as we had booked the holiday - most of our party came back as confirmed instantly and 2 people took 24hrs to get approved which must have been just for the random more detailed checks they perform.

Even though they came back super quick as the other posters have stated we did ours with loads of time just because of the horror stories you hear about people having issues with getting acceptance. For the relatively small amount of money involved get it dealt with and out of the way asap and look forward then to the rest of the holiday planning!

Have a great trip whrn you go!