We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

Just got back this morning from WDW. We stayed from Wed. to Wed. My husband, myself and two boys (6.5 & 3.5) had a Magical time. We all had great attitudes going in and although I am very organized and tried to plan each day, I went in with a clear head knowing I couldn't do that.

We stayed at Riverside, wonderful and very peaceful. The boys enjoyed the pool on the fishing hole island, we didn't, way to crowded but we managed a few times. We also went to a quiet pool with no bells and whistles, small crowd and the boys didn't care. Also went to French Quaters and swam in the Lagoon Pool with Scales. The boys loved that. The weather was wonderful, 90's every day. It rained one night, which was nice, it cooled things off and cleared the park (MGM).

We were on the dining plan and believed we saved money doing it that way. Tons of food.

I made reservations everyday for our sit down meal 3 months ago. I only cancelled one, which was the first night because we were tired from traveling and the boys really wanted to swim. Instead we ate at the Boat wright on Riverside property.

Thurs. Reservations at Chef Mickey's for 7:50am. WONDERFUL and so much FUN! The boys loved it.

After breakfast, went to MK. Went on all the rides that were appropriate for the boys. We loved Mickey Philharmagic.

Hit the parade at 12:30 and then left.

Swam and ate dinner at Riverside cafetria and hit Downtown Disney.

Fri.

The boys kept saying that AK wasn't disney world, it was a zoo. I agree, it doesn't have that same feel as MGM and MK. Hit AK early and got on the Safari Ride, saw lots of great animals. Went to Camp Mickey and Minnie. Got autographs.

Lion King was cancelled, tech problems.

Swam at hotel

Nap

MGM in the evening. Playhouse Disney, Star Wars Tours, It's tough to be a bug, (BOYS CRIED), Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic.

We ate dinner at 4 at the 50's Prime Timer. That is a very fun atmosphere.

Sat. Slept in. Got to Epcot at 8:30am

Fast Track, no wait.

Figment and the discovery section.

Innoventions - fire house game was fun.

Return to hotel at 1.

Snack, Swim, Rest Time.

Spent the rest of the evening at the pool.

Sun. Breakfast at Ohauna's with Lilo and Stitch at 8:30am.

Swim at French Quaters.

1 pm rest, lunch

5pm MGM - If your boys are star wars fans like mine, you have to go to the Jedi Academy Training. Bothe of the boys got picked to go on stage with 10 or so other kids. The Master is teaching them how to fight and then......Darth Vader and 2 Storm Troopers come out and each child gets to fight Darth Vader. Then at the end they get a certificate saying they are Jedi's. The boys loved it.

We also saw the Motor car parade at MGM.

Mon. 8am, Cape May Cafe for Breakfast. Very nice.

MGM 9:30 to get autographs, 3-D muppets, Star Tours, stunt show.

Swam at FQ

Rented a bike

Swim

Tues. Slept in til 7:30. MK got on a lot of the rides with out much wait time. By noon Dumbo was 50 minutes. This was the busiest we had seen it all week. We left.

Swam at hotel.

Dinner at Ohauna's at 5:30

Packed up.

Here are some tips that we found out throughout our stay. The Magic Your Way is great on the way there. On the way back it says to check your bags in 12 hours - 3 hours before your departure time. We had to leave the hotel at 5am, so we went to check them in last night at 9 and oh gee they weren't there. Their hours for luggage check in is 5am - 1pm and they are seperate from the hotel staff. It's airport staff that comes to the hotel and does it.

We really loved the dining plan. We ate dessert for every meal. Our jaws dropped when we would see a $180 dinner bill for 4. We are going to add up our receipts and see how much it all cost for food. It doesn't show the price on your slip but we always remembered it and went to the table and wrote it down on ours.

We fell for buying a $17 water bottle. I didn't think it was going to be that hot so I didn't get one here. It was well worth the money. Also our first one broke because my son dropped it and the battery's wouldn't stay in so they replaced it without a problem.

We left an hour early for every reservation and we made it if transportation went smooth. When we went to Cape May, we needed to catch a boat but since we were the only ones on the bus, the driver took us to the Yacht and Beach Club. That got us there 30 minutes before our reservation and they took us right in.

One Night we ate at the Concourse Steakhouse and the Monorail wasn't running so we had to walk from MK to the Contemp hotel and so that made us 10 minutes late, they didn't have a problem taking us in.

Thank you for listening to me babble. If you have any questions, ask away.

This site was very helpful. Thank you all for helping me plan.

Katy

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,390 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Innoventions
Innoventions
19 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Jedi Training Academy
Jedi Training Academy
63 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Cape May Cafe
Cape May Cafe
2,291 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Beach Club
Beach Club
249 Reviews
Orlando, FL
IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

Katy,

Thank you for your review and I'm so glad you had a great time!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

Thnaks for your review katie. People don't post reviews on here too much and i really like them, they are useful for me becuase my first disney trip is fast approaching. I've seen reviews from people whose accommodation was outside WDW, we are staying in WDW so it was a pleasure to read yours.

Pa
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

Thank you for the info 8 days and counting...WE to are staying at the Riverside.It is our first time to WDW so again thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

We are going in the fall and will be taking a 3.5 year old as well (no other kids). Just wondering how your younger child held up with walking, strolling etc? Should we try to go as long as possible then end the day or do you recommend the mid day nap. They are so excited at this age and seemingly can go longer than we can. Also, I assume we should bring our stroller, or do you recommend one of those "umbrella" strollers?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

I have to laugh at this line of your review: "Sat. Slept in. Got to Epcot at 8:30am". Because wait until your children hit their teenage years. It will be 11:30 am and you'll yell at the still sleeping darlin's "Get up! They day's half over and if you don't get up, we'll never get to Disney!"

Yes. $17.00 for one of those water bottles with the fan is expensive. You can by them at Walgreens for about $10 less.

Thank you for the review! I enjoy hearing about people's trips. It makes me reminece about our vacation or it makes me look foward to the next!

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,390 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

Got to say, we have been lucky enough to go to Florida 5 times now in the last 12 years. We've stayed off site before (Lake Buena Vista area) and thought that was pretty great (apart from the Grosvenor) - but when we stayed at Riverside last year it just blew us away and we'd now never go anywhere else. The best extra couple of hundred pounds we've ever spent over a 14 day period. Glad you enjoyed your 'First Time' - here's to many more!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Scituate, MA
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

Please give more details on the Jedi Training - i have never heard of this before ( and I thought I read EVERYTHING about WDW Hee hee) My 11 year old is a huge Star Wars fan and would be interested in this. Is it in the Disney Studios - where ? Is it a show or what ?

Thanks - Margie In MA

traveling to WDW in 8 days with hubbie and 3 kids

Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from WDW - 1st time & the best time!

miamijoe,

We did take our own umbrella stroller. We used it the first day or so. My oldest son actually used it more. Once we got the routine down of taking a nap in the afternoon and going out in the evening, we never used it again. My boys were extremely crabby the 1st full day we were there. It was evening and we were going to Downtown Disney and they both fell asleep on the boat and we didn't take the stroller. It was miserable for that time. But once we established a rest/nap time, they were able to stay out later.

MargieOH,

I too, thought that I had read EVERYTHING about Disney but the Jedi Training was a nice surprise for the boys. It takes place at MGM studios next to the Star Wars ride. It's on a small stage platform outside. There will be times on the schedule that you can pick up at your hotel lobbys or the park.

Make sure you are up front and be LOUD. They had cancelled a show one night we were there and we were asking about it and the guy said make sure you are loud. The master picks the loud one. The music is loud and it's a lot of fun for the kids. The best part is when Darth Vader and the Storm Troopers come out. Your son will have fun.

Enjoy!

Katy