We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney or Universal Studios first?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Disney or Universal Studios first?

First time visitor from 10-21 June 2013 for family of 5. I am planning to split our stay between Disney & I drive to be near the parks we're visiting. I'm still looking at accommodation options but don't know whether I should spend the 1st week in Disney area (for Disney parks) or I drive (for Universal).

Which parks do you recommend I should start off first? Would you say Universal is likely to be less crowded than Disney from 10-15 June or vice versa? I don't plan to hire a car at this stage.

Do Disney resorts offer deals for that time of the year?

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

Hi can anyone please help :) ? I'm stressing out already. Thanks.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

Hi

Personally we always start with our favourite, currently IOA, but in the past when the kids were younger it was MK

Coming from UK the time difference works in our favour. We are always up early in the first morning.

Coming from Sydney you may want to chill out for the first couple of days at Disney and get your bearings.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

Do you know what your family priorities are re theme parks? We used to give the kids a day for them to do what they wanted and they picked where to eat too. That way they get to participate in the excitement of planning.

Maybe some of the Disney experts will chip in with their comments but it might be a good idea to look to see if there are any events on on any of the parks you plan to visit.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

It'll be more crowded as the month progresses. I suggest you do Disney first. They just opened up the Fantasyland redo, so it'll be busy if you go there first but it'll be really bad if you go later. Although you can take a whole week at Disney, Universal can be done in easily in 2-3 days max even if it's very busy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

We're landing at 6pm on a Sunday after 24hr flight, I guess we'll be buggered the next day. In terms of priorities, the younger ones will be more interested in Disney while the teen in Harry Potter. Are Disney parks more "relaxing" than Universal? we're planning to spend 6 days at Disney & 7 on I drive.

In terms of crowd in mid June, does it matter in which order I plan my stay?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

"We're landing at 6pm on a Sunday after 24hr flight, I guess we'll be buggered the next day."

That is an understatement if there ever was one. I have flown back from Oz twice and, each time, had MAJOR jet lag. Hate to say it, but you will too, and not for just a day. I urge you to relax completely on the first day and not visit any parks. Go to Downtown Disney, do some shopping and just take it easy. Trust me, you will need the down time.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

I think both will be busy so I don't think it matters which order you do it. But from your teen's perspective, I would say do Disney first and then let him/her be wowed at the end by Harry Potter. There is also a lot for younger kids at IOA and Universal, esp. IOA.

No, Disney parks are not what I would call relaxing unless you are talking about the water parks, which are very relaxing and highly recommended. In fact it will be so hot that time of year you should get the water parks and more option, you may end up there more than the theme parks. One benefit to getting a car is that you can keep swimsuits and towels in the trunk and always be ready to switch gears when lines get long or it gets too hot. We love the water parks.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

In my experience, both parks will be as busy as each other at that time of year.

Any slight difference in attendance figures won't make a difference, - it'll be busy, full stop.

I'd also say that you don't have to move hotels to do both parks, if you stay somewhere in between both parks are within 15 mins of your hotel (approx, traffic can affect this).

pa
Level Contributor
53,897 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

I'd give Disney more time, 8 days perhaps or more. The more days you play, the less it costs per day. There is plenty to enjoy for all of you at all 4 Parks, 2 Waterparks, Downtown Disney and so much more. Disney is 47 square miles of fun

There have been some very nice Disney Resorts offers for June, those offers will not be announced for a while yet but as long as you book direct with Disney or an Official Disney Travel Agent such as www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com you can have your reservation Modified when the Offers are available

3 days to visit Universal Parks should be enough ( we get round both Parks in a day but understand when it's a first visit you may like a bit more time to explore )

I would also mention you don't "have to" move. You can easily stay at a Disney Resort the whole time. There are several options to get over to Universal for a few days, Taxi, Shuttle bus, Public Bus and the Ticket and Transport Option ( we have used this many times, very reliable ) www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/universal/

Staying at a Disney Resort itself can be a Holiday, great amenities, Dining options, kids activities, Free transport ( older kids can go off on an adventure while the grown ups take a break :)

June will be busy but not crazy crowded.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney or Universal Studios first?

Star Wars weekends are the first two weekends in June at Hollywood Studios at Disney if that is something you are interested in or want to ovoid. I would check to see if there is something else special going on on those weeks like the flower and garden festival at Epcot? If you were staying on site at Universal you would get front of the line passes or you can buy them in advance so that you don't have to wait in line as long and you could visit it second. If I remember right the front of the line access pass for Universal is only for certain rides and you can only use it once for one day if bought seperately from staying on site.