We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip-HELP Please!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Last minute trip-HELP Please!

We are a family of 5 (kids are 11,14,20) taking a last-minute Disney trip and need help deciding if staying in the park is worth the additional expense. Since we need a suite, our choice was the new Art of Animation but it's just become unavailable (Disney rep says that could change). Other option is Port Orleans-Riverside. It would be nice not to have to deal w/ a car (parking costs at parks,hotel) IF the buses are truly a convenience. Any know if we should expect to wait much for the shuttles at this time of year? We'll be there Dec 15-20. We're ok staying at a less fancy Disney resort knowing that we can just take shuttles and also that the room will be very clean but basic. Also considering The New Wyndham hotel which seems to be pretty close and very nice w/ space for all of us. We've been waiting a long time to go back- 8 yrs- and want to have a great trip, so any advice is welcome! Not too concerned with the food/cooking issue, just convenience and the best possible place to stay. One note...we will be going to Universal one day, too. Thanks for helping!!!

Sussex
Level Contributor
953 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

Disney all stars music does suites have you tried there.

Personally if you are not desperate to all be in a suite together, I would go for Pop century and get two interconnecting rooms, there is an internal door between the two rooms which you can either lock or leave open. I think your kids are old enough to be in a separate room, no different to being in separate bedrooms at home. Also ths will be a lot cheaper than a suite.

We have stayed here nd it is great, has a good food court and shuttle to parks is great. Hope tht helps.

Caroline

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

I would go with 2 rooms at pop as PP mentioned it will he less then a suite your kids are old enough they don't need to be with you, this will give you plenty of privacy. Be sure to use the current special offer

…go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/specialOfferDetails…

If pop is booked up any value will do

Edited: 05 December 2012, 19:38
3. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 December 2012, 04:05
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

You've obviously found out Disney won't let you put five in a regular room (big pet peeve of mine, another topic for another day). For the cost of Disney lodging for five, you can rent an entire house through a vacation rental company. However, if you're not going to use the kitchen to cook and you're only visiting one place outside Disney, it sounds like you would be better off staying onsite. The true savings offsite come with meal preparation (we spent $200 total for meals for a family of five for a week shopping at Walmart) and transportation to other attractions. If you stay at an off-property all-suite hotel, those always provide breakfast and many provide evening meals Mon-Thurs. So take meals into serious consideration when making your final decision. If you want to eat most of your meals at restaurants in the parks, stay at Disney.

Are you considering one of the trundle bed rooms at Port Orleans? Be aware that the trundle bed is small in size. I'm not sure whether or not it would fit your 11 y.o. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

The shuttle wait times could be minimal or lengthy. Everyone seems to have a different experience. Since you don't have a toddler or preschooler, your kids will probably be handle a wait, if there is one.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

No parking costs at parks..... If staying on site..... Or Disney Hotels......

Personally we couldn't do without a car.......

I cannot (will not) wait for a bus..... I prefer to come & go as "I" please :-):-)

Not to somebody else's time table........

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,926 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

2 rooms ( and more important 2 bathrooms) at POP for me!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,262 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

Have you looked at the cabins at Fort Wilderness?You will be very cramped in a POR with 5 people. There is also a suite at the Doubletree DTD which are great and well priced. We always drive as we have found the buses to be very inconvenient except at the AKL where there are dedicated buses. Otherwise,too much waiting around. There's lots of wonderful suite hotels nearby that are around restaurants and stores-ES/Staybridge Suites LBV,Homewood Suites LBV,Residence Inn LBV,Springhill suites in the Marriott Village and Embassyu SuitesLBV. All will give you a far better value for your vacation dollar even if you rent a car(which is cheap in Orlando)

Schererville...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

Have you looked into the Swan or Dolphin? They are on Disney property but not owned by Disney. I believe they also have roll away beds for the 5th person. I like these hotels, great rates, water taxis to a couple theme parks and also they are connected to the Boardwalk which is a pretty neat place to hang around and enjoy the fireworks, take a fun bike ride around the lake, grab a snack and catch some entertainment!

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

two rooms are the very best way to go trust me you want that extra bathroom.

we are a family of 4 and we like to have a extra room just for the bathroom.lol.

so hurry up and book the trip,then have a magical time!!

10. Re: Last minute trip-HELP Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 18:16