We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports Events

Liverpool
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sports Events

I'm heading over with my wife in September next year. I've got no idea how the sports seasons run in USA. Will there be any professional sporting events on while we're there, and if so is it worthwhile/possible to get tickets? Basketball, American Football or Baseball would be the ones we'd be most interested in.

Thanks.

pa
Level Contributor
54,310 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports Events

Baseball

Check out the Tampa Bay Rays

Liverpool
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports Events

Just checked them out. Their last home game is the day we arrive unfortunately. Baseball would have been my first choice too.

Is that the only sport on at the end of September/Start of October?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports Events

Would you consider college football? The University of Central Florida has a decent team and their schedule begins in late August/early September. I don't think the 2013 schedule is available yet.

It's too early for basketball (Orlando Magic), too late for baseball, but "maybe" football (NFL) at Tampa, Miami or Jacksonville.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports Events

I know college football is much bigger in USA than the UK so I'd be willing to give it a go. I'll keep my eye on the schedule. I'd probably prefer NFL though because of the razzmatazz that goes with it and the opportunity for buying merchandise etc.

Thanks for the tip though.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports Events

College football is usually more fun. Big marching bands, student cheer section. Etc. NFL teams have their fans, and games are lively, but no where the enthusiasm that college games generate. Plus, tickets are less expensive for college.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sports Events

I agree! College games have plenty of razzmatazz and plenty of opportunity for buying school-branded merchandise. UCF's enrollment consists of 59,767 students representing over 140 countries, all 50 states and the District of Columbia. They also have a new football stadium with a seating capacity of 45,323.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sports Events

You my know this already, but the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team will be playing in London one game each year beginning next year, so if you want to see a team you can follow when you get back home, they are about two hour drive from orlando. The Tampa Bay buccaneers would be a little closer if you chose to see them. Schedules for both of them are released in april. UCF is nice for people who have ties to the school, but outside of Florida nobody cares about them.

8. Re: Sports Events

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 01:16