We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

We will be driving to Orlando for the second time from Michigan in may. It takes us close to 20hrs driving time. We are not sure yet where we will spend the night on the way there and back. Would push to go non stop but we have two kids ages 5 and 2 1/2. Is anyone else driving? Are you going non stop?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

If your route takes you south on I-75, may I suggest stopping somewhere between Knoxville and Chattanooga, TN for an overnight stay. That's a little more than half way. You'll have about 550 miles to go from there.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,960 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

Chattanooga!!!!

Why don't we have brilliant sounding cities in the UK

Sooo jealous that you can drive to Orlando

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

We'll be driving from southern VA in May- for the second time.

Cannot imagine doing the trip non-stop.

It's about 12 hours altogether, but we go about 4 then stop for lunch in Bennetsville, SC, then about 3 more hours and stop overnight in Savannah and go see the sights there for the evening.

It's about 5 hours the next day. Last time we stopped for an early lunch in St. Augustine and then it was about 2.5 hours from there.

We stayed at Santee, SC on the way back last time but did not care for the hotel so we're going to try something different next time.

This time we're bringing our college son with us and over-nighting in Savannah again and then getting up and going straight through to Oakland, FL and taking in the Oakland Nature Preserve before heading down 429 to our hotel. 429 is a DREAM of a drive and worth the toll for sure, especially if you are staying on the west side of Disney or south.

Can't check in before 4 pm anyway, so we enjoy seeing the sights along the way.

We're planning on spending an extra day and night in St. Augustine on our way home and driving the whole way back in one day.

We would not try that without three drivers to take turns.

When the kids were little we did some long distance driving but stopped often for run around and potty breaks- that was in the pre-DVD/computer everything days when we sang songs, counted cars and cows and anything else we could see to keep from losing our minds on car trips. ;).

We like to take snacks along that identify with the states we are passing through- like Cheerwine soda, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and Lance crackers from NC, Blenheim Ginger Ale from SC, Virginia ham sandwiches, etc.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

I have driven to WDW and back 9 times (1000 miles each way), and I would never do the trip non-stop. That is just too much time in the car for me, and my wife has never driven on the highway so she is useless as a co-driver. Even if your spouse is willing and able to drive, that is a long time in the car, and I am sure your two little kids will either go nuts or drive you nuts being cooped up that long.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

I just did it and we stayed at the doubletree in murfteesbouro - after nashville but before chatanooga ( I was too tired for mountains)

We left from way up north in michigan however and stopped to see some family outside chicago.

Made it a few times in college nonstop, but as have gotten older, the stop makes more sense and is just more enjoyable. I thought murfteesboro was nice and clean and a good reasonably priced place to stay. Nashville would have been fun but way more expensive. Just my thoughts

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

In January 2012, I drove from York, PA to Jacksonville, FL in 16 hours, by myself. It was exhausting. I would never do that again. Had I been able to share the driving with another intrepid soul like myself, I probably could have made it the whole way to Orlando in one day. Interestingly enough, going home, I finished the entire trip in one day. Admittedly, by the time I was navigating the beltways around D.C. and Baltimore, I really wasn't fit to be behind the wheel. But at the time, the idea of sleeping anywhere but my own bed just had no appeal whatsoever.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

I make the 10 hour drive from Baton Rouge on a fairly regular basis. I sometimes split it up but usually drive straight through. A lot depends on what time I'm able together away.

If you choose to stop in Chattanooga area we like the Shallowford Road exit off I 75 for a quick stopover. Lots of hotels and places to grab dinner. We like the Residence Inn there :-)

Happy Trails!

Va
Level Contributor
11,125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

16hrs from york to jax? That must have been some serious traffic or you got lost. That should be about an 11hr trip.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,804 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

A lot of personal stops perhaps?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone driving to Orlando in 2013?

According to Rand McNally, York-Jax is 810 miles and should take around 12-13 hours to drive, so it was probably lunch, dinner, bathroom breaks, etc. Especially with 2 kids (as in the case of OP), those stops can really add up, which is why the OP shouldn't try the trip in one day.