We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

I had booked the HI LBV Resort for 6 nights for my family (wife, I, 3 1/2 yr old, and 10 mo old) in early April. Got a nice rate thru my wife's corporate discount, total including fees and tax was just over $600 for the 6 nights.

As I always do, I price shopped a few more hotels to make sure I was getting the best bang for the buck. Have to have a least a suite type arrangement - did not want a regular hotel room. Also, the HI LBV did not have a free breakfast. I came up with the Comfort Suites Maingate East and the total price for 6 nights is about $570 including tax. Breakfast included, gets good reviews, nearly as close to WDW as the HI.

Has anyone there stayed at either of these places? Which is a better bet? Is the pool significantly better at the HI? Just curious.

Thx

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

Bump it on up.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

The Comfort Suites is awesome and is an excellent value. The pool is nice sized and around the back near the hot tub. It is too bad that the kiddie pool is no longer in existence. The rooms are spacious with a sofa bed, microwave, and refrigerator. I would hesitate to call the rooms suites. They are more like large rooms as opposed to the suites at Embassy Suites with a separate bedroom.

Please note that you have to get a key for the safe from the front desk. You pay $2.26/night for the safe, so you might as well use it. Our room appeared to be recently redone and had a flat screen TV. The breakfast is pretty good for free. It is buffet-style with hot and cold items. The Mickey Mouse shaped waffles (plain and chocolate chips) are a big hit with the kids. It would be even better if there was more variety, as they always seemed to have baked beans. Some guests complain that the elevators are slow. I did not notice this but I can see that this might be an issue when the hotel is full. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 20:08
Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
993 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

Thanks for that insight sac. Can I ask, what is the commute time to the entrance to WDW? Also, are there restaurants (good ones, not McDonalds etc) near the hotel to walk to?

I am leaning toward canx with the HI and keeping the Comfort Suites reservation. I also understand what you are saying about the rooms not being 'suites'. Having stayed in many CS before, I know there is just a dividing wall between the living area and the beds but that is enough for us to get by.

thx again.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

It was a ten minute drive to the Disney parks from the hotel. I think there is a Red Lobster near the entrance to the hotel. We ate at Olive Garden, Friday's, and Cracker Barrel, which are all located down the road from the hotel (but not within walking distance) towards I-4. One night we got a pizza from Flippers, which is a small pizzeria at nearby Old Town. It wasn't anything special. There is an Italian restaurant across the street called Pacino's which is supposed to be good but expensive.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

I found the list of nearby restaurants that I had written down when we stayed at the Comfort Suites. I cannot promise that all of these are still in business.

Across the street:

Logan's

Bennigan's

Denny's

Pacino's

Ponderosa

Same side of street as hotel:

Checkers

Flippers (pizzeria at Old Town)

Burger King

Pizza Hut

Red Lobster

KFC

Further down the street (towards or past 535), not within walking distance:

Chili's

Cracker Barrel

Olive Garden

Longhorn Steakhouse

Macaroni Grill

Friday's

Edited: 27 December 2012, 21:40
York, PA
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

Bennigan's is no longer open. A Jimmy Johns recently opened at Old Town, which is just a short walk from the hotel. I should mention that Old Town is a bunch of shops and a few restaurants. I am not sure how to describe it other than it is very different than Disney. It is kind of rundown, dirty, and some of the shops are not suitable for children (in my opinion). Fun Spot is a nice little amusement park between the hotel and Old Town. We enjoyed watching the SkyCoaster from our room. There is also a mini golf in front of the hotel which looks like fun.

7. Re: Holiday Inn LBV Resort or Comfort Suites Maingate East

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 10:17