We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best table service places that don't take a long time?

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best table service places that don't take a long time?

I'm traveling alone with my very busy, hyperactive 5 year old son. He's not into characters that much but is not as afraid of them as he was before. Characters are ok but not a must. I'd like a non-buffet place that doesn't take a long time to get you through your meal. Any ideas? I need to make some ADRs as we passed the 6 month mark. Any location. Lunch or dinner. Thanks!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

LOL--I was going to suggest a few buffets until I read you want non-buffet places;-)!

How about family style meals? We had a fairly quick (under an hour, which I consider quick for table service) at the Garden Grill restaurant. Food is good, restaurant revolves slowly around as you eat so you see differerent scenes, and it does have characters.

For restaurants where you order off the menu, I can recommend Sci-Fi Dine-In at DHS. You sit and eat in (fake) cars while clips from old monster movies show on a big screen in front of the "cars". It's fun and semi-dark so people perhaps won't notice so much if the kid gets a bit squirmy;-). We've also found service there to be fast.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

Another place in Hollywood Studios that serves good food fast is Mama Melrose's. There are no characters, but they do have good pizza which most kids seem to like. I also agree with post 1 that the Sci-Fi can be interesting, although with only two people you will be sitting in a "car" with a bunch of strangers which might be a big distraction for your son.

Garden Grill in Epcot, recommended in post 1, is family style (all you can eat brought to the table), which is why it goes fairly fast. The beauty of family style is that you can eat as much as you like, but you don't have to keep jumping up and down for food as the servers bring it to you. On that same note, another good family style dinner place is the Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom. It had characters until around four years ago, but doesn't have them now, and the lack of characters means that you can get out even quicker than before. It should be noted that the Liberty Tree Tavern lunch is not family style, but is instead ordering off of a menu.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

It depends on what you call a long time, most meals we have had are easily ordered served & eaten in under an hour but we have also had a few where we have had to wait an half an hour after our ADR time to get a table (Le Cellier took about 45 mins after but it was well worth it)

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

I also have a 5 year old boy (and 3 a year old) and we are planning Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, T-Rex and House of Blues.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
592 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

We never found that there was a lot of just sitting at the restaurants. They seat you and then the beverages, entrees and desserts come along pretty quickly. And as others have said, many places have decor that makes the wait quite interesting. In addition to the other good suggestions, maybe your little guy likes fish? Coral Reef in Epcot is pretty spectacular with a big glass wall aquarium and the food was good.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

Coral Reef and Garden Grille sound great! Worried a little about the seafood place though. He's allergic to shrimp so I'm wondering if we should stay out if there. I never take him to seafood places for that reason.

We are staying at Bay Lake Tower at the Contemprary. I'm wondering if I should keep our dinners local in the MK are and early and then head back to the parks if we are not too tired?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

As far as allergies, you should be noting allergies whenever you make an ADR, as Disney is wonderful about having the chef come out at every meal (literally) to talk to you about what you should avoid on the menu. By the way, the Coral Reef has non-seafood items too. You can check menus here:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

Ok then we will try it. I love seafood and hopefully they can avoid cross contamination. He's broken out twice I resturants where we didn't order any.

Thanks for the reassurance.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

Disney are very good with allergies. The chef comes out and talks to you, adjusts the menu to suit. We found them really good with our sons allergies.

I was going to suggest ohanas for breakfast..that is a character meal with lilo and stitch, it is a family style buffett served on a platter at the table. It would be easy to get to from bay lake..you would just ride the monorail around to the polynesian.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best table service places that don't take a long time?

How about the WCC at WL, they cater to families and it is table service.