We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help 1st time

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help 1st time

Hello , The wife and i are wanting to visit in the summer , with our 6 year old girl. I feel that she will love staying in the Disney resort , but don't want to spend a fortune eating in their food venues.

i know that there are more reasonably priced restaurants on idrive and around bvista - not sure what too do.

not planning on hiring a car - HELP

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,463 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help 1st time

You are correct in that there are more reasonably priced restaurants outside the WDW gates. More low cost options, particularly around I-Drive.

The dilemma is that Disney wants you to stay on site the entire time and not patronize any of their competitors. That is hard wired into their marketing plan. Now, having said that, Disney has some very good restaurants. So you will have to balance the convenience with the slightly higher cost.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help 1st time

You could eat mostly at the counter service (fast food) places in Disney. Although they aren't as cheap as McDonald's, they aren't as high priced as the sit down restaurants. And portions are HUGE--you and your wife could probably share, or each order your own and one of you share with your daughter.

One thing we've always done on our trips is bring granola bars and breakfast bars from home, and that's what we have for breakfast. Saves a little bit of money. Don't know how practical that would be for you with flying from Glasgow. We also bring lemonade mixes and Lipton sweet tea mixes from home too, to drink in the room instead of buying beverages at the resort.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help 1st time

You will waste so much time going back and forth off site to eat. There are many reasonably priced options at the resorts and in the parks. Eating really is not our primary purpose when we go...you will be so busy... But you will def not go hungry!

pa
Level Contributor
54,491 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help 1st time

You could book a Disney Resort and get the Dining Plan for Free. Disney has some very nice Dining Options. More info if interested about that very nice deal

We stay at Disney quite a bit and enjoy Many of the Disney Restaurants, some of them are our favourites, anywhere. Here are the Dining options while you think about it

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help 1st time

If you want to stay on site, you could get a suite with a kitchenette and hire a taxi to take you to a grocery store. You could have groceries delivered: goodingsdelivers.com. As a previous poster said, get cereal bars and fruit for breakfast. We ate these types of things on the way to the parks in the morning and while waiting for rope drop. We toured all morning and returned to our lodging for our midday break and lunch. The only meal we ate in the parks was supper at a counter service restaurant. If you choose to stay off property, you could look for a hotel with shuttle service that has kitchenettes and also provides free breakfast. Of course, you would then be at the mercy of the shuttle schedule.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help 1st time

I also suggest staying at a Disney resort for the convenience (since you won't have a car) as well as the fun.

I'm a satisfied Goodings delivery customer three times now. We buy breakfast foods for convenience and some lunch foods for occasional money-saving lunches.

My wife and kids aren't early risers. It's tough enough for me to get them to the parks early ... if I also had to wait for them to get up for breakfast we'd be lucky to get to the parks by lunch! So we have a variety of breakfast foods delivered, and this way they can have breakfast in bed, breakfast while lounging in the room, and so on, so when we leave we are ready for action. Some of the items we buy include cold cereal, milk, orange juice, bagels, cream cheese, bread, butter, yogurt, sliced cheese, instant oatmeal (heat up water in the coffee maker!), fresh fruits, maybe some precooked bacon, etc.

We don't pack a lunch often, but when we do it's something simple like sandwiches (add some sliced deli meats to the above list) and fruit. We already take a backpack into the parks anyway, so it's not like we're lugging around just lunch with us. A zip-lock bag from home makes a great temporary ice pack, just add ice from the resort's ice machine.

7. Re: Help 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:17