We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can we walk to Universal Studios?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
can we walk to Universal Studios?

Hi, could someone offer an opinion...can we four adults walk, safely, from hotels nearby, to Universal Studios? Please elaborate, and thanks.

hampshire
Level Contributor
228 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

Depends what hotel. If it is the doubletree at universal then it is really easy takes about 10 mins along a very nice path. If you are coming from international drive you have to walk along side a busy road and takes about 20 mins.

brighton, england
Level Contributor
488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

We stayed at a hotel on I drive just down from wet n'wild several years ago, pre kids. I think it was the Quality Inn near the intersection with Sand Lake road(sorry it was 2005 and I cant remember exactly).

We would regularly walk to Universal. It took about 20-25 minutes and most of the time it was a very pleasant stroll. There was one very hairy moment trying to cross a very large road, despite there being a pedestrian crossing, and again at the entrance to Universal where all the buses stand and wait to pick up and would just fly out of the exit onto the main road. Drivers in that area are not expecting pedestrians to be crossing, so when they are turning right, they dont often slow down, despite the pedestrian crossing saying its safe to walk. It was a fun walk!

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

As stated previously it depends where your walking from. We stayed behind the Orlando visitors centre and got the Green Line trolley to stop G3 and then it's a pleasant 10 minute walk to Universal. I've also walked from Wet n Wild, takes about 20 minutes but personally wouldn't recommend it. It's along a very busy road and at some of the pedestrian crossings you feel as if you're taking your life in your hands.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

The Loews Portofino Bay Hotel is in short walking distance of Universal Studios hotels.com/ho177863/…

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

If the weather's OK, the area mostly has an excellent network of sidewalks, including crossing I-4. You can spot them (and interactive info on bus stops) on Google Maps.

The area is quite reasonably safe. Universal and the I-Drive tourist area are good parts of town.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

I've never done it but don't think I would recommend it. I have on occasion crossed Sandlake Road wher Perkins is and it is very scary. Not many people walk anywhere in that area ( apart from the Brits and you can spot them a mile off)The traffic is often heavy and I'm not sure there is pavements all the way up. If you do decide to do it you are a braver person than me!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

US residents in general and Floridians in particular rarely walk anywhere. But standards for streets and roads have resulted in uniform standards for sidewalks (=pavements). Unfortunately, for sidewalks to be attractive, buildings need to be arranged to face them. That's being required in an increasing number of places, but not so much in Orlando.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
823 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

Hi Alan, we stayed at a holiday inn a few years ago that was about a 10 minute walk from universal, it was near to the double tree mentioned in a previous post

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

Thanks to all who replied back...if anyone else feels like chiming in, there's no such thing as TMI here...thanks again. Alan

pa
Level Contributor
54,009 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: can we walk to Universal Studios?

I would highly Recomend the Doubletree if not staying directly on site at a Universal Hotel. Orlando is not the most pedestrian friendly IMHO

www.wdwinfo.com/universal/doubletreeorlando/

Edited: 03 January 2013, 21:35