We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast or East Coast of Orlando with 2 children?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
West Coast or East Coast of Orlando with 2 children?

We are spending 4 days in DisneyWorld at the end of March with 2 kids aged 9 and 11 years old and we would like to discover a bit more of the Coast.

We can't decide between the West Coast (Clearwater??) and the East Coast (New Smyrna Beach). Our idea is to spend a relaxing time enjoying a quieter family beach, nature, wild animals (we're thinking manatee, aligators). Thanks for your help.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,436 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast or East Coast of Orlando with 2 children?

I don't know that you would want to swim with gators, but they are fresh water not salt.

Clearwater will have the calm seas. If you want the east coast and quiet also look in the Melbourne area.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast or East Coast of Orlando with 2 children?

New Smyrna Beach is relatively small. I would have some concern over cars being allowed on the beach. The kids seem old enough, and beach driving is fairly carefully regulated.

South of New Smyrna is Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, with some regular manatee spots.

This chart is the best I've found for seasonal water temperatures. It has Daytona Beach and St. Petersburg

sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/coastal_wat…

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast or East Coast of Orlando with 2 children?

In March/April, I'd head east and south to Ft Lauderdale and Miami area for the most enjoyable beach weather. Water will still be too nippy off of Central Florida. If you don't care about the beach, just some different things including nature, you can simply stay put in Orlando and take some day trips. For example, there are numerous air boat opportunities. And parks, like Blue Spring, where you can see manatees. If the weather looks nice on a particular day, you could head to the beach to soak in some sun, play in the sand, and maybe feet in the surf just for the day

Edited: 03 January 2013, 18:40
4. Re: West Coast or East Coast of Orlando with 2 children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 03:17