We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

Reading...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

I know the WL vs. AKL scenario comes up a lot, but I'm looking for some advice specifically with my 15 month-old in mind.

We've already booked 4 nights at AKL for early Feb- the price was right, and we thought he'd enjoy the animals and vibrant surroundings. However, we don't plan to rent a car and I'm getting more and more concerned about AKL's distance from the Magic Kingdom, which will likely be the focal point of our trip (although we might spend one day at AK).

WL will be slightly more expensive, but this is negligible if it means we will save on time in transit with a potentially cranky toddler. However, we're already kind of hooked on AKL's theming, again because it seems so appealing for a young child. By the same token, he's only 15 months old and will probably be happy just to run around somewhere new and exciting.

Basically, my heart says AKL and my brain says WL!

Anyone had a similar predicament? Any advice is much appreciated!

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
471 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from US$168.99*
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

If MK is the focal point of your trip, I say Wilderness Lodge

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

I don't think the color schemes are that different or that wilderness is any less vibrant than animal kingdom.

In fact, I think they are similar in many ways.

The patterns of the bedspreads are different, animal kingdom is more tropical while wilderness is more pacific NW...

It is a heck of a lot easier to take a cranky toddler back to the room for a nap to Wilderness than Animal Kingdom lodge,and you really don't get that close up to the animals- you'll likely get closer to animals doing the Pangani Forest Exploration trail and going to the Conservation station and Affection section at Animal Kingdom Park. At the Animal Kingdom lodge, the odds are you'll see them in the distance, mostly, unless you pay for a Savannah view room and then you still have to play the odds a bit.

You will save a ton of time and frustration staying at Wilderness- which means more relaxing and less stress.

You would enjoy either of these resorts- simply judging them on theming and fun factor, I LOVE AKL and would never downplay how lovely it *is*, but close to anything but AK park, it's not.

Either way, have a great visit and make lots of wonderful memories... :)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

I will tell you what my nephew said (he went to AKL with his wife and 2 little girls at the time, one was 1 1/2, the other 3). They loved it and they were glad they tried it once (they have Disney Vacation club), but would not stay there again because it's too far away from the other parks.

These decisions are never easy, because they're all nice hotels, but I would also pick Wilderness Lodge, we loved it when stayed there. And the lobbies are similar. It's just the animals really that would be the deciding factor for you :)

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

WL is awesome...!!! and MK is just a quick boat ride away!

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

OH, what a problem, I love both, but WL may work out better.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

I'd go with WL too-so much easier to head back to the room for naps and I love the way you feel in the middle of things! You can hear the boats out on the lake and, the last time we stayed there, the ElectricAl Water Pageant floated right past our balcony in the evenings :-)

pa
Level Contributor
54,442 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

Wilderness Lodge for sure, it is Swell :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2778033

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

You can still visit AKL even if you don't stay there. We visited and ate at Boma and saw all the animals on the savanna. There's night vision goggles to see them at night.

You could go over to visit on the day you go to Animal Kingdom

Reading...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

Thanks so much for the advice everyone and making this decision very easy- the Wilderness Lodge it is!

pa
Level Contributor
54,442 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wilderness Lodge vs. Animal Kingdom Lodge with toddler

Well Done :)