We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

We are travelling to florida in May 13 we will be staying at WDW for about a week, then we will hire a car and head to Miami.

My question is should we do a day trip from WDW to Kennedy Space centre or should we go there after our trip to WDW ? Going after WDW means we would check out of our disney accom (on site) early and drive to Kennedy Space Centre, after our day there, where would be the best place to stay reasonably nearby ? After this we would continue down to Miami.

Or would it be easier just to stay at WDW an extra day or two, do Kennedy Space centre as a day trip from there and just head to Miami from WDW ?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

From a time and convenience standpoint, it might be better to just stay at Disney, because the trip from there over to and back from Disney is so easy. It's only about an hour from the Disney main gate to KSC via SR 417 and the Beachline Expressway.

On the other hand, from an expense standpoint, you might be able to save some money on lodging if you left Disney and stayed a night or two near KSC before taking I-95 to Miami. Any saving would depend on what you're paying for the incremental extra day(s) at a Disney resort versus what you'd pay at a hotel near KSC.

There are hotels in Titusville that are within 10-15 minutes of KSC, but none are very special. Actually, for lodging near KSC, I'd be looking at staying at Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach. Hotels there are as close as 25 minutes from the KSC visitors' complex via highway SR 3, and some of the hotels there are right on the Atlantic Ocean, which could add a little extra feature to your trip. In addition to the space center, you could add in attractions like some time on the beach, watching the surfers from the Cocoa Beach Pier, an airboat trip into the swamps west of Cocoa to see alligators, a kayaking trip encountering manatees, watching the big cruise ships sail out of Port Canaveral from your outdoor table at a restaurant, browsing for a tee shirt at the famous Ron Jon Surf Shop, or a visit to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. Of course, you wouldn't have time to do KSC and all of those, but could choose a few of them.

Whatever you do, try to arrive at KSC fairly early, somewhere between the 9 a.m. opening and around 10:30. Most families would spend 5-6 hours doing at least the standard bus tour, the visitors' complex, lunch, a stop at a gift shop, and maybe a short stop at the Astronaut Hall of Fame (included in the basic admission). Those that are especially interested in space history or technology might be able to spend all day there (the Astronaut Hall of Fame can be visited the next day using the same ticket). Additionally, on most Wednesday and Thursday mornings, the US Air Force offers a free tour of some of the historic launch sites from the early space programs, independent of the KSC offerings.

The trip to Miami from Cocoa Beach is just as fast, and probably slightly faster, than from Orlando, and there are no tolls on I-95. Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach is about an hour from the Disney main gate.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

Thanks for the info. It seems that both options are doable, but It might be a little easier to stay at disney and just do a day trip. If we choose to stay in the Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach area, which hotels are good?

There doesn't seem to be much accommodation in the area...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

I would just leave Disney early (around 8:00am). Get to KSC around 9:30am. Spend 5-6 hours there. Then any hotel in Titusville or near Port Canaveral OR if you are not too tired drive down to Miami right after your visit to KSC. Its only a 3.5 hour drive (via I-95 South)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

Cape Canaveral & Cocoa Beach: on the beach, at least some rooms with ocean views:

La Quinta Oceanfront

Best Western

Doubletree

Marriott Courtyard

Hampton Inn

Hilton

Cape Canaveral & Cocoa Beach: off the beach, but all on the main road (A1A):

Country Inn & Suites

Radisson

Residence Inn

Holiday Inn Express

Sheraton

There are many more, but the above are the ones that I would recommend.

Metro Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

We just got back from a week at Cocoa Beach. We did KSC and the Astronaut Hall of Fame plus the beach, pier, Ron Jon, and a few other local things. We took two day trips to Universal (we've done WDW a BUNCH in the past). If it were me, I'd check out a day early from WDW and go over to Cocoa Beach for a day or two. The beach is terrific and KSC is something that can take all day depending on which bus tours you want to do. Basic admission includes the Hall of Fame that day or the next. As for hotels - we really like the Ron Jon Cape Caribe Resort at Port Canaveral with its own beach, large pool area with lazy river, giant slide, etc. and we enjoy watching the cruise boats return and leave about 300 yards from the front of the hotel too. If you want to stay in Cocoa Beach itself then, oddly, the La Quinta has a very nice facility on the beach itself. 95 is easy to get to from either and is free.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

Titusville is a rat hole. Go with the Cape Canaveral area. THere's a map on the cruising website www.parkingstay.com that shows most of the hotels which are on or near the beach on A-1-A.

I've personally stayed at the Courtyard and enjoyed it very much. It's not beachfront, but it has beach views and is a short walk to the beach without crossing any roads. THe Hampton Inn next to it also looked as nice or nicer.

7. Re: Kennedy Space Centre - Where to stay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 05:17