We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up hire car at Disney

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Topic
Picking up hire car at Disney

We are taking the Magical Express to AKL when we arrive then picking up a car from Disney's car care centre 2 days later.

1) I presume we are allowed to use AKL facilities during the day we check out? Pool etc. and that they will store our luggage. Probably only until just after lunch

2) If I leave the family and go collect the car, can I get a bus to the TTC and then walk to the car care centre? Is there a better way to get there?

Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

Anyone?

Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

Has anyone used the car care centre???

Anyone at all?

Pleeeeeaaaase? ;)

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

Hi yes we used it last week.

As a tip try trip wheels they were the cheapest website we found.

On the day you check out your passes are good up to midnight along with any dining plan or snack credits left. You can store luggage and continue to use the facilities of AKL.

24 hours before you want to collect the car visit the AKL concierge and ask them to sort out the transfer to the car care centre. A minibus will come to the hotel and collect you and take you right to the centre. No need to worry about buses or anything. It's a great system.

Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

Thanks sraj. I've already booked it through uscarhire who I've used before.

That's brilliant...but...do I need to tip the concierge? Or the minibus driver?????

Were there plenty of cars there or will it be a limited choice. We have booked an intermediate SUV

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

You don't need to tip the concierge, my husband did tip the minibus driver, but plenty don't.

We had booked a 7 seater SUV even though there are only 4 of us, but we did have 5 large cases plus 2 sets of golf clubs and various other bags so need the boot space.

When my husband arrived they tried to give him a 5 seater Volvo and then a minivan. He poliely explained that we hadn't booked and prepaid for a 7 seater SUV for nothing, as we needed the boot space. The assistant suggested putting our luggage on the back seats of the van but my husband stuck to his guns and they had to bring an SUV in from somewhere else while he waited. He didn't have to wait more than 30 mins so not sure where the cars are stored.

It was Christmas week though so I'm sure very busy at the centre.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

We had three days at POFQ in November and collected our car from the Disney Car Care centre. As others have already said get your concierge to contact the car care centre the day before to make pick up arrangements. We tipped the mini bus driver $5, but others didn't.

There were only two of us and I had booked a four door compact. I have had this class of vehicle before so knew what to expect. When I presented the paperwork the clerk pointed to the open back door and asked me if I realsed 'that' was what I had booked. It was a tiny bright yellow (2 door) car, a Fiat 500, I think. I politely told him that I had booked a compact not an economy and a four door, not a two door. He told me the 'yellow' car was what I was getting unless I upgraded! I asked him not to do the paperwork as I was just going to ring Tripwheels. I also told him I had been renting cars for years in Florida. Suddenly he had 'a look' to see what else he could offer me and we came away with a very nice VW Jetta. You don't seem to be able to chose your vehicle from the car care centre the way you can at the airport.

Just stick to your guns and get the class of vehicle you have booked and paid for.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Edited: 07 January 2013, 21:32
Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

I don't mind waiting up to 30 mins for the right car although I would expect having ordered it at that location at that time that hey would have it available!

I debated collection at the airport but I think the kids will be super excited to ride the magical express! As will the wife as she doesn't know I've booked the 2 nights at AKL!

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

I have to admit it was nice getting off the plane and not having to drive straight away!

Just don't let them fob you off with something you haven't booked! The clerk I dealt was called Richard and his 'patter' was obviously well rehearsed. Perhaps because I am femail he thought he could get away with pushing me for the upgrade. The Jetta was more than big enough for two and the huge boot (trunk) happilly carried two large holdalls, two pieces of cabin baggage and various bits and bobs we had bought while at Disney.

We returned our car to MCO and drop off was quick and efficient.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

I don't mind driving to be honest-once I'm off the dreaded plane I'll do anything!

My only concern with the intermediate SUV is that it will comfortably fit 4 of us, 3 cases, hand luggage & possibly a pushchair in. As I'll be collecting it on my own at least I wont have to work out the best way to squeeze it all in with an audience. If my wife has to have a suitcase o her knee when we return to the airport I can live with that!

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picking up hire car at Disney

On our May trip I had a standard SUV It was a Hyundai Santa Fe and it comfortably fitted four adults, four holdalls, four cabin bags and a fold up walker.

I collected that vehicle at Sanford (booked with Alamo). I looked at several SUV's and some of them still had quite small boots. I understand that the Chevy Equinox also has a big boot.

At the car care centre they seem to assign you a particular vehicle, where as you can chose your own (from booked class) at the airport. I would suggest that when the mini van drops you at the office you have a walk over to where the vehicles are parked and see what they have before you go in to 'sign up'. If you get offered something you don't want you can always 'suggest' the vehicle you liked the look of in the parking lot. Make sure they tell you how to get back to your hotel. All the roads around that area look the same!

Regards,

Deaconblue