We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

sligo ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

Meself/ herself n 3 kids 14/14/13 thinking bout florida this year,would be grateful for some advice on the following;

Is there a huge difference in heat and humidity levels between early june and 2nd half of august?

Is there a much greater risk of hurricanes/storms/ wet weather in august?

Would the crowds/ ques be smaller in august?

Is it REALLY the family holiday of a lifetime?

In your opinion how much spending money would be needed for 5 people on a self catering trip?

Any other helpfull advice would be very welcome!

A lot of questions i know,but its a big deal for us and i want to get it right!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,256 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

Wow that is a lot of questions shrek. I can answer one of them from my experience last year, I went at the beginning of June and the end of August. June was pretty busy and there was a lot of rain, the humidity was about the same. In August the season was beginning to wind down and the parks were less busy. The rain just came in a big daily downpour.

Whether its your idea of a holiday of a lifetime who can say? There are plenty of fans on this forum!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,890 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

"Is there a huge difference in heat and humidity levels between early june and 2nd half of august?"

Yes.

"Is there a much greater risk of hurricanes/storms/ wet weather in august?"

Somewhat greater risk of hurricanes, although we can and do have some tropical weather systems (e.g. tropical depressions & tropical storms) as early as June. Don't expect to stay dry as summer is the rainy season (no secret).

"Is it REALLY the family holiday of a lifetime?"

55,000,000 (fifty five million) visitors were expected in Orlando last year (2012). That should tell you something.

"Any other helpfull advice would be very welcome!"

Lots of reading! Start with

http://www.floridathoughts.co.uk/

Brit Guide to Orlando 2012

The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2013

u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

I would think that it would be much cheaper to fly in June than it is in August. Also look into booking a villa,flights and car separately as this could also be a huge saving for you.

I have visited late June early July and late August and the parks were always busy.

We were three adults and we managed on $150 per day, This was spent on eating out, petrol , parking and drinks.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
398 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

We went last weeks in August nearly 3 weeks 2 adults 2 teens villa with car didn't turn the cooker on though!! Spent about £3500 food drinks parking petrol and bits and pieces :)

hampshire
Level Contributor
228 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

We have been the first two weeks of June and the last two weeks of August. Weather wise we preferred June as yes it's very hot and humid but we only had about three or four showers during our two weeks. Last year we went in August and it rained every day for a good two hours a day.

We think it is a definite holiday of a lifetime it's just one you want to keep doing if you can afford it.

We never cooked and stayed at a hotel on both occasions and ate every day at a nice restaurant, snacks during the day and also did lots of shopping and spent about 2000 pounds that was for four of us.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

We went the second week of June last year and we lucked out as the week before and week after we were there it never stopped raining according to hearing reports from other visitors. Can't comment on August. If you could go from the last week of April - beginning of May or Oct - middle of November that would be ideal. As far as a holiday of a lifetime, for me and my family YES. I have friends of mine that have gone and wondered what all the hype was about, did not like it, and will not go back. I think it just depends on your family and what you like. We really enjoyed Universal, my boys actually prefer Universal, they are 8 and 9 and have gone twice. Seaworld was also nice. We really like the waterparks at Disney. I would go on the Disney website and look at the maps and rides and then go on YouTube and watch some of the rides and shows (if you don't mind ruining the suprise) and then you would know more if it would suit you and your family. That is what I did for DisneyLand in California and we decided it was not worth the longer flight and extra expense that we would just stick with Orlando. There is also Discovery Cove where you swim with Dolphins, but it is pricey. Never did it though.

7. Re: First 2 weeks of june or last 2 weeks of august???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 07:17