We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

Now that my trip is definitely happening I'm feeling overwhelmed by DW. We are not early/rope drop people. I'm a Disneyland vet and in 30 years I've never made rope drop or early entry hours once. I've still managed to have a great time. I told a friend this and she said that if I don't go that early ill never get on any rides. Ok so no rides then I guess. :(. What other ways are there to enjoy each park with a young child? He is 6. Also does the rope drop idea apply to the water parks? I was planning on getting there by 10, staying at most 4 hours and then leaving. Thanks for your help. :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

Waterparks, getting there at 10 is probably OK. Even later if you don't care where you will sit.

But you REALLY need to get to the theme parks early if you want to ride rides w/o lines. Ask yourself, what is worse. A 60-90 min line with a whining child, or getting out of bed by 7?

You don't need to get there for rope drop, but getting to a park w/in 30 mins of opening is essential unless you like standing in line. Getting a fastpass first for the most popular ride is a must.

Your vacation, your choice. We can't help further unless we have more details (such as when are you going).

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

Oh if it's that long we just won't wait in the lines. I never do. We just find shorter ride lines to wait in. At DL in CA there are lots of less popular rides for small kids with shorter lines. We still have fun.

We are going mid June.

What time should we get there then? Is it park dependent? Can we get to a certain park later? Is MK the park that we must get to early? Or are they all the same?

What else is there to do at each park besides rides?

Also my son will not do roller coasters and fast rides like test track, etc. he refused to get on the Radiator Springs Racers. He doesn't really like the dark rides either. He does like the Soarin ride we have here and Star Tours at DL. We just get a fast pass and go back hours later with no issue though. We don't mind.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

We get to the parks early now but our daughters are teens. Never when they were little-however long they slept,that was just fine.You can use Fast Pass for many rides so it may require a little back and forth in the parks but you will be able to ride plenty of rides without standing in line for hours.Mid-June is crowded but not impossible since many kids don't get out of school until that week or the next one.We go to the waterparks around lunchtime and just sat whereever we could. Don't let the pressue get to you,you will have a great time-the only thing I highly recommend is to reserve all your disney table service meals as soon as you can since most do not take walk ins

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

Ours got up early when they were little. Now they are teens they don't ;-)

How are yours with heat and humidity? Mid June is VERY hot, and humid. So there are quite often PM thunderstorms. So, you'd probably want to go early anyway, as parks are easier before it gets scorching. Even 30 mins lines are awful in full on heat.

what many do is get there at opening, spend a few hours, then go back to your hotel for swimming/nap/siesta etc and return in the evening.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

Thanks!

Only doing 2 TS meals and have those reserved already.

I'm sure the heat and humidity will bug us. If its too much we will leave, go back to the hotel to swim, go to a water park or DTD. I'm flexible.

Thing is we have a lot of the same stuff here. I live 60 miles from Disneyland and go often. Going to DW is a lot about the experience and seeing the different things that we don't have here...gardens at Epcot, all of the country areas at Epcot, Animal Kingdom, etc. If we want rides we can do that at home. We have APs. Not a big deal at least to me.

So how early should we get there to make the heat and humidity tolerable? I'm thinking we will spend 4-6 hours at the parks during the day tops and then move in to something else. We will go back in the evenings especially for the evening magic hours.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 17:18
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

If you get a copy of The Unofficial Guide, I recall them having a "Sleepyheads Touring Plan" designed for people who want to sleep late on vacation. Maybe that would be helpful. If you are NOT staying on property, avoid the parks with the extra magic hours as they are more crowded.

Ocala, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

You should get to each park at 8am esp. if you want to do toy story midway mania,or soarin .Fastpasses for those rides can run out before 12pm.The middle of june has a crowd level of about 8 out of 10 everyday.The best way to plan out each day is use easywdw it has great explainations on why a park is recommded or not.With a crowd level of 8 even rides like nemo at epcot,haunted mansion,small world,and pirates can have wait of 45 minutes or more and fastpass attractions can have waits of two hours or more.Also just to let you know it will take at least 45 minutes from to get from the ttc to mk if you are parking there.

On june 12,2012 which your vaction may include that date this year wait times at 4pm at mk were:

jungle cruise 60

thunder mountain(which your child may not choose to go on)60

splash mountain 95

haunted mansion 40

peter pan 70

dumbo 30 (did not have fastpass then but it does now so it will probaly be closer to 60 at the same time.)

pooh 50

cars 40

pirates 40

buzz 60

little mermaid will probaly be around 60 with belle around 90

small world 40

barnstormer 25 (but now has fastpass so probally closer to 60)

stitch show 40

people mover 20

aladdin ride 35

monters inc 25

philamagic 25

astro 60

Now just to let you know 12pm-5pm is when rides normal hit their peak wait time for the day.At the same time these were the wait times at hollywood studios.

Toy story 90(fastpass pass gone around 11:50 am even with 10pm closing time.)

tower of terror 55

star tours 35

great movie ride 25

backlot tour 30

little mermaid show 35

muppets 20

If your soon is between the ages of 4-12 and likes star wars there is a jedi show at hollywood studios you can sign him up for just be aware it the sign up spot is near sounds dangerous if need help finding it just ask a cm also even on quiet days all shows may be filled by 12pm.so if there is someone else with you have them go to toy story to get fastpasses then take your son to signup.YOUR SON MUST BE WITH YOU AND YOU MUST MEET THE OTHER FAMILIES AND CMS WHERE YOU SIGNED UP 30 minutes before your showtime.another thing about going during the summer you will see a lot of teenage south american tour groups sometimes they can be really annoying and sometimes they don't bother you.also if you want to meet chacters those lines can be any between 10-100 minutes depending on wahat character or chacters are at the front of the line.

wait times at AK

kali 60

safari 40

tricaratops spin 25

primeval whirl 30

dinousaur 40

tough to be a bug 20

epcot

test track (was under refurb last year wait time probaly about 60-90 if not more )

soarin 130(fastpass gone by 11:30am)

nemo 45

figment 20

ellen 20

spaceship earth 30

mission space(if you decide to ride)

orange 70

green 40

malestrom 60

mexican boat ride 20

living with the land 40

captain eo 10

chacter spot 50

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,983 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

If you are not into the big rides and would enjoy walking aroung the countries, Epcot is a good choice.

It is very generally humid all day in June. Things can vary, but a usual June day will be sunny in the morning. Around 8am it is around 80 degrees, and the humidity is around 90%. In the middle or late afternoon it gets in the low to mid 90's. There are often seabreeze thunderstorms in the middle to late afternoon. Some of them can get pretty wild. It usually clears in the evening.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

If you can be done with a park in 4 hours, def get there early then head off to your hotel or a waterpark. 8-12 plan (that is the way I roll lol).

Yes, look at each park and see what you would like to do (don't need Soarin as you have that) and make sure that is what you get a fastpass for.

What kind of tickets do you have, and where are you staying? I am htinking save MK for half days/parades/fireworks if you have APs and live that close. Epcot is where you will spend a lot of time- lots of great stuff there.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Feeling pressured....going with the flow with small children

The sleepyheads guide sounds good! I have the books (gen and with kids) so I will look.

We are staying at Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort.

So are you saying do one park half day and then waterpark, swim, parades at MK the later half of the day? I could leave to get there or arrive by 8 or 9. I was thinking I'd have to get up at 6 or something to get there by 7. Early hours must be earlier here in CA. Some are 7 am.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 17:46