We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Hey everyone been doing ALOT of research and found out a fair few things and need to change alot around but still need advice from people with alot more experience than myself.

First off I just want to say I wont be renting a car as Im 22 and this cost will be a bit too high.

Its my first trip away from home with the girlfriend and while I was originally staying at the Parc Soleil I've recently changed my mind and will be staying at the HGVC on I-Drive as I wont have a car transport will be easier from here from what I can tell plus there is fast food, outback and a grocery store close by.

There seems to be no shuttle to the hotel so I was looking at getting a free shuttle to another hotel thats close and getting a taxi from there. But wondering what peoples opinions would are on that.

I will be staying at this resort for 5 days 2 of which will be at universal which I believe the Hilton runs a shuttle for 6 dollars to the park. 1 Of the other days I was planning on going to the 2 outlets one of which is obviously behind the hotel and the other is on I-drive and shouldnt be too hard to catch a bus too.

Another day we were looking at going to the Science museum for the star wars exhibit and having a look around Mall at Millenia. Now from google maps its looking like a 1 hour bus ride to the museum then another 1 hour ride to the mall not to sure how to get around that unfortunately so if anyone has any tips I will be extremely grateful.

We were also looking at going to the pirate dinner show on one of the nights which looks like a 20 min bus ride there and back.

The last day at the hilton was a relaxation day so will just walk around and lounge by the pool dosent look like there is too much around in terms of walking distance.

The remainder of the stay I will be staying in Disneyland and will go to the parks and on the off days head over to the the boardwalk and downtown Disney.

Also I have pre bought my tickets through the expedia booth at the hotel (called and paid as I got some discount as I was on some marketing package and got 15% off.) Was $824.47 australian all up for 3 days at disney and 2 at universal no park hoper for 2 adults. Does that sound right?

Summary:

1. No car, staying at HGVC on I-Drive best way to get there?

2. Bus to the outlets on I-Drive then visit Vineland outlets.

3. Planning on busing it to Science Museum and Mall at Millenia.

Looks like 3 hours on buses to get from the hotel to the both places and back. Any other ideas apart from taxi?

4. Anything close by thats interesting to do preferably walking distance from the HGVC on I-Drive?

5. Park tickets from hotel expedia with some discount worked out to $824.47 Australian for 3 days disney and 2 Universal no park hopper. Sound about right?

Cant think of anything else and sorry for the long post :).

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

A quick post - ensure that any shuttles you get to the parks get you there with plenty of time. We used shuttles to the parks in 2006 and found that they didn't give us much time (only 4 hours in Animal Kingdom as it dropped us off at the Disney transport centre, so we had to get ANOTHER bus from there).

If you're staying on I-drive, have a look at how far the Universals are from your hotel - you may be able to walk it! Failing that, there is the trolley service too which runs quite regularly and is quite cheap, which should allow you to spend longer in those parks.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Thanks for the heads up ill definitely make not of the times.

Unfortunately it still looks too far of walk if the shuttles aren't running ill look out for the trolley's.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Hi Matt.

Welcome to the forum, you will have a great time.

we did the Pirates Dinner about 9 years ago when 2 DS. Me & OH found the show OK not brilliant but great for the kids.

The food IMHO was very good and plentilull, huge portions.

Go to Universal Studios and IOA not far from you.

Great attmosphere, you will have a great time.

Universal walk through

www.youtube.com/watch…

ajg

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

You may want to reconsider a car. What you are going to spend on taxis, and buses, you may save with a car if you check out some deals in advance.

It also gives you much more freedom.If you want to leave a tour early,or you're really enjoying it and want to stay longer, you are out of luck. If you have your ownt transportation, you can leave anytime you want. Or if you just want to drive around and check out different restaurants. You would be surprised at some of the deals you can get for car rentals with a little research.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Definately will be going to both Universal parks :).

The car for us was looking about 350-400 with insurance which is quite a fair bit unfortunately :(

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

If you search it should be in the $200-$250 range

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Not with a 22 yr old driver, that's an extra 25 per day.

Read Scan's bus post in Top Questions, and go to www.golynx.com, you'll find lynx better than shuttles, and iride trolley.

HGVC is a good choice, you'll love it there.

I would spend at least one day at a Disney park (try Epcot perhaps) as it is fun, they don't have it in Aus or even California.

Where else will you be going in the USA?

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Will just be in Orlando. We are doing MK, Epcot & Disneyland studios.

Yeah lynx seems to be the way to go.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

Hi Matt, We have visited Orlando 12 times over the years and the last one we didn't get a car but used taxi's. It was easy to use, however not cheap. We are going to Florida just under 4 weeks and have booked a car for one week as we are staying in Disney and we will do the parks first few days. The car from Alamo costs £160 just around 240 dollars (I think) and thats for a SUV, just a thought. I'm sure that the amazing experts on this site will help you when they wake up today. Have a fantastic holiday!

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming to Orlando for the first time from Australia

are You there for only 5 night s or do You move to a Disney resort after the 5 nights ? I am not sure I understand this correctly ?