We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning, if you check your bags early...

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Topic
Warning, if you check your bags early...

We had a rental car and returned it and got to the Orlando airport early. We were there about 2 1/2 to 3 hours early and checked our bags so we could shop and eat while we waited for our flight. When we got home I saw that they had gone all through my luggage and breaking some fragile items I had bought while on vacation. Everything was churned up and out of order. This isn't the first time we have had this happen. It also happened on our last flight home from Mexico. You can be assured that they will search your stuff if it is sitting there a long time prior your flight. Now we dont check our bags quite so early. So far it has been working.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 00:53
Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
478 Reviews
from US$54.99*
Kennedy Space Center, Everglades...
190 Reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
131 Reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
17 Reviews
from US$51.99*
North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

That's too bad but I don't think time had anything to with it we always check our luggage 3 hours prior to our departure never had a problem. Your were probably just victim of bad luck

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

There are some questions here. Who is "they"? If by "they", did you have a slip of paper that your bags were inspected by TSA? Or, are you meaning that "they" would be your airline? If the airline, file a claim with them, as the airline is responsible for your luggage once it is checked with them, and you can have a reasonable expectation of safe handling. More specifics would have helped to respond.

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
5,006 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

Are you saying that an unauthorized person went through your luggage ?

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

I've had my suitcase checked twice by the authorised officials who leave slips etc. In one case they had to break the lock (which is one of the reasons I get cheap little green padlocks - the other reason being they make the suitcase easier to notice when picking it up). Not had anything get smashed or go missing but we tend to take breakables in our carry-on as safely as possible.

You can understand why suitcases need to be checked nowadays - let's face it, anything could be in them. However, were the persons going through DaBride's case authorised? I thought if cases got searched a slip had to be left. If they were authorised more care should have been taken, especially with packing it again (you'd think they'd be experts, what with going through loads of cases each day).

Edited: 17 January 2013, 09:36
Level Contributor
11,576 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

The longer the sit behind the wall the more the chance that a baggage handler can sneak a peak. While TSA may check them, they generally are videoed doing their work. It is the people that load the planes you have to be worried about.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
410 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

That's interesting....we checked out bags with Virgin at DD in October and when we got home OH's suitcase had been opened and everything had been moved around in there (only reason we know it had been moved around was we had breakables wrapped in our clothes and these were no longer wrapped) the lock had also been busted open, no note though but we just presumed that the security had gone through it something. Do they have to leave a note to say they have checked your bag then??

Level Contributor
10,286 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

TSA will leave a card in the bag if they inspect luggage.

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

So, if there is no card from TSA, who else is allowed break your lock and go through your luggage?

A x

Level Contributor
3,151 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

I never lock my cases and all my valuables stay in my hand luggage so not bothered about my cases as just clothes.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning, if you check your bags early...

We have had TSA go through our cases and leave a note when doing Virgin DTD check in. If you think about it your luggage is at the airport many hours before it needs to be loaded onto the plane making ideal to check on.