We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This traveler has a major fear of flying

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
This traveler has a major fear of flying

Hi everyone,

I love to travel but I have a major fear of flying. I much rather drive but of course that limits places to go.

Do any of you know a good site or forum that addresses this issue? I know that I am among many, possibly even at this site who also hate to fly. Any thoughts?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

thoughts , yes. No web sites though. My wife developed a fear of flying for some reason after the birth of our first child (mine also), and to make it more complicated couldn't go on any scary rides. It took time, encouragement by me, but just plain facing it on her part. She now flys, still not a fan, but flys. My bil will not however, and to this point has chosen , to not face his fear. You're not alone, thats for sure, so don't beat up on your self. Most things we can control , but not the airplane when we're riding in the back. You can do it : )

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

USA Today has a column called: "From the Cockpit", authored by Capt Meryl Getline. She has been a commercial pilot for 25 years. Her column addresses all the little nuances and fears of flying and explains about all the noises you hear, etc. Go to USA Today.com and click on "columnists", go to her column where readers write asking questions. You can read all her previous columns and will find that she has addressed virtually all concerns of fearful flyers.

Your wife can also email her directly if she has a particular concern that is not addressed in one of her columns and the Captain will personally respond and try to calm her fears.

I did this for my husband who was very afraid to fly and once he started reading her column and corresponding directly with her, he now prefers to fly, rather than drive.

Hope this helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

I second the From the Cockpit suggestion. I have always been afraid to fly, and always wanted to visit the UK. Those two things aren't compatible, so I knew I'd have to fly to get there. I started reading her columns in the USA Today travel section, and it really helped when I finally made the flight to know what all the different noises I was hearing were, or what made the plane do the different things it did. Even having heavy turbulence on the way over wasn't that alarming, because I had read what it was, and how the plane and pilots react to it. Knowledge is a powerful thing. It won't prevent an accident, of course. But it kept me from obsessing about it, and I would actually think about doing it again.

Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

Thanks you guys for answering my post and I will definitly check out the usa today columnist. That was a great tip.

As far as my fear goes, I developed that fear to fly as an adult. As a kid, My dad had his pilots license for a single engine plane and he took us up all the time. I had absolutly no fear. In fact, in those little planes, pilots have to balance a set of wings on the instrument panal to help keep the plane level. My dad would let me and my sister steer the plane to balance the wings for short periods of time.

Anyway, thank you for the tips anymore would be welcome.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

Hi Igottago2 - Just read your post sounds very familiar to me. I do not like to fly either which came to me as an adult. But, we have two kids and occasionally like to travel (especially to Disney). When we did not have the kids I just would drink enough to make me relax. Now I just call up my doctor and she gives me a Pill to relax. I also drink maybe one glass just in case. It relaxes me and I feel just fine. I like the fact that I can function and not feel tired from taking medication. We just have returned from Disney in January and had a great time. Good Luck!

belfast
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

Thanks everyone,for the great tips. I also do not like flying and this was great to read many thanks to memphisbelle for the web address this has eased my wondering mind alot, once again many thanks.

pollyparkins.

Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

I have I think xanex left over from another flight but I think I remember that taking 2 tylenol pm's work pretty good too. I have taken 2 benedril before and it took some of the nervousness away too. I just hate to be sleepy although we are not going to disney untill the next morning. However, we are getting in around 5pm and would like to go and eat or something.

I went to the usa today site too. I will go back and continue to read, I am so glad that I found out about that site. Thanks memphisbell !

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

Rono, my fear of flying started after the birth of my first child also, we didn't fly for 3 or 4 yrs, still have the fear but go on holidays as I want my sons to travel the world........

thanks memphisbelle... will read the site with great interest....48

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

igotttago2

First of all - many University Medical School Psychiatric Departments have flying phobia programs - always a good first place to start. If your "local" medical school doesn't have one, they will be able to refer you to a physicial who does conduct this sort of program. I have been told by friends who have gone this route that one of the most reassuring things about it is that they discovered neither were they alone in their fear, nor were they nuts as many had been told by "loving" family members.

I don't disparage even though I can't understand the fear. A friend told me that it was the idea that falling from great heights would kill you - my response that it was more likely that the 300 miles per hour was the major factor put the whole thing into a frame of reference she could handle. To her flying then became like high speed automobile travel. She didn't like that either, but she wasn't paralytically afraid of it.

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: This traveler has a major fear of flying

I developed this fear (and I mean paralyzing fear) of flying after I began traveling alone with my children to meet my husband on business trips. Suddenly I realized that if that plane went down, I would be the one to tell them that that this was the end...how's that for depressing?!

I now take Xanex and it works wonders. I also take tylenol pm with Xanex when I want to sleep...it seems that the Xanex just puts me into a normal state, then I have to have the benadryl in the tylenol pm to put me out. I cannot fly just taking the tylenol pm as I need the anti-anxiety of Xanex.

I also have taken to watching every reality tv show about airlines that I can. I believe that psychologists call this de-sentisization. You expose yourself as much as possible to the thing that you fear the most, but in ways that you can handle. Watching a tv show or reading a column by a pilot gives you the control you need over this horrendously fearful thing.

Then, since I am a Christian, I clutch my list of Bible verses on fear close to me during the entire flight. While I am not in control, the Lord is! Hope this does not offend anyone, but it is the one thing more than anything that helps me.

Then I keep telling myself when we hit turbulance..."it is only bumps in the road, it is only bumps in the road..." Anyone ever seen Meg Ryan's movie French Kiss...the opening scenes about her fear of flying and yet wanting to fly to Paris are classic!

Bon Voyage!