We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

Just stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel for three weeks, it was a fantastic holiday. Weather in the 80's most of the time and no rain!

First Disney.......We have stayed in January before but couldn't get over the amount of people in the Disney parks.. Too many for us.. We don't like waiting longer than 40 minutes for a ride. ( that's why we go out of season) Toy story waits were 95 minutes by 11am and all fast pasts were sold out by noon. Thunder mountain 45 minutes. (They only had one train running). 95 minutes for Peter Pan. We really enjoyed our time in the Disney parks, still love the atmosphere and the magic but they are getting a bit tired and need some new rides. I love Disney but they are letting standards slip, terrible meals in Epcot and magic kingdom, I blame the Disney dinning plan.. Cheap free food equals poor quality.

Universal.. Great parks.. Harry Potter is amazing. Loads of work going on at Universal park.. Not good for us but great for you folks going in the summer.

Had a great time at Typhoon Lagoon, Aquatica, Seaworld, Clearwater, Tarpon springs, Merritt Island Nature reserve, Kennedy Space centre, Crystal River, more info when I am not so jet lagged!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

I agree with the standard of the food at Disney, it's definitely gone downhill since the introduction of the dining plan and even more so since the "free" dining was introduced.

One of our favourite places to eat used to be Captain Jacks at DTD, you used to be able to walk in easily here & it was lovely and quiet and relaxing but now you can't and actually wouldn't want to, the place is always heaving, the food is pretty bad and hardly any choice.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

Sounds like a great trip, can't wait to hear more :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

Glad you enjoyed Hard Rock Hotel..shame Disney so packed. How fab to have weather in the 80's.. Do hope the good weather continues, we'll be there in a week :0)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

I am staying in hard rock in September for 2weeks. How did u get to Disney from hard rock? We are not sure if we are going to rent a car?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

we have just got back from 3 weeks too:(.

the parks food is very samey...you do get sick of it after a while,each park sells the same ware and we ended up filling up before going in them.

England
Level Contributor
297 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

It takes 30 minutes to drive between Hard Rock and Disney, my husband loves driving everywhere (lucky me) so we hired a car. Its great having a car as food in Universal is expensive compared to restaurants out and about. Buffet breakfast at Hard Rock 19 dollars, Golden Coral 8 dollars. There are no hotel shuttles to Disney, although the hotel provided shuttles to Seaworld, Wet n wild and aquatica.

I also think a hire car is good as you can visit places off the beaten track, visits real Florida. The problem is Hard Rock do charge a fortune for parking. In America it's hard to get around without a car, not impossible but much easier with a car. It's useful for getting drinks from the supermarket for the room as the mini bar prices are very high.

You should love the Hard Rock (reviewed separately under hotel reviews). One of the best USA hotels I have stayed in. Great atmospher etc. Harry Potter is amazing ( I am not. a big Harry Potter fan but loved what Universal have done)

7. Re: Just got back from 3 weeks in Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 05:17